Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Where would you use a band for assisted front lever?

Kim Jongseong

Kim Jongseong

I personally prefer to get my lats in bands for an assisted front lever. one day I saw a video doing band assisted front lever on youtube. the video -

In the video, she puts her legs in the bands. I think that, since it is unavoidable not to use legs to press down on the bands to maintain the position, this is an inefficient way to use a band. When we take bands higher and put lats in them, we no longer use our legs to do it. You might think what about planche? Yes, We can use bands for assisted planche. But in this case, The harder we press down the bands with legs, the stronger hollow body we have. Front lever? no. I'd have a wrong core activation. Does it matter where we use bands? Isn't it a better way for beginners to use bands around the torso in early variations than do a full front lever with assisted bands?

I may be wrong here. but I want to hear your opinions. thank you forum.

Daniel Burnham

Personally I don't like bands, but I do see their use in moving into the complete movement so that your body can feel how it is to strength out of the tuck. I definitely wouldn't use these as your main method of training however. Early in the movements it may be beneficial to place the bands at the end of the lever arm to reduce the load while still getting the balance effect. I do the same thing using a spotter and generally on elements such as FL and planche on rings it feels best when the spotter gives pressure to the end of the lever arm (legs) and on the center of gravity simultaneaously.

Generally I've used them from under the buttocks to ankles.

Again, not a big fan of using them for levers.

Parth Rajguru

For the levers, the bands should be used around the waist. If they're at the ankles, you'll get too much assistance deluding you into thinking you're ready for harder elements than you are. You can always change the difficulty by switching to a straddle, but I don't think there's much use for bands besides assisted full lay or straddle for the levers. You shouldn't be using bands with tuck or adv tuck.

Band assisted front lever work shouldn't be your main training though. Use it as a supplemental position to get used to the new shoulder angle in the next position. The goal is to bridge the gap between 2 positions.

I'm not sure there's much use for bands with the levers though. They're fairly straightforward if you're creative and methodical with (unassisted) movement progressions.

Levers are easy enough to adjust. IMO if you need a band then you're going too far beyond yourself. The band also creates bad habits here. By giving your body that extra bit of artificial stability your scap control and activation will suffer.