Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Fixing my nutrition with work

Colibri

Hey guys,

I just wanna say a big thanks to everyone that participates in discussion here. Each time I read a topic, I understand a bit more about our bodies, and how they run optimally.

I must say, it's like a breath of fresh air reading discussions with level headed, friendly people. :)

Anyway, I'd love if anyone I have just been employed for a job that is shift based. I could be working anywhere from 4-6 days a week, and it will vary from a few hours to most of the day - morning, noon and night. Because of this, I am finding it hard to keep my nutrition optimal.

The food choices are fine - a paleo based meat, veg, fruit, spices approach. In the last week, I've upped my carbs from under 40g to 70-100g+ and I feel leaner than ever (even though I'm approx 15% BF). The rice and potatoes are working, though my fructose consumption could be less. Other than that, I try to get around 140g+ protein and I don't worry too much about fat. I am getting around 1500-1800 calories each day (I know this is too little). The timing and frequency though, is haphazard at best. One day I could have 1 big meal, another could be 2-3 meals but I cannot be certain due to work.

Reading the sticky topics have helped a lot, but there's still the nagging thought that I am doing my body a disservice with just the 2-3 meals, and that I need to fix my per-workout nutrition.

I don't often worry about it, but sometimes I'll have a banana and an egg 30-40 minutes before my workout (especially if I am just coming home from work at about 9pm and have not eaten in that few hours beforehand) and afterwards, the rest of my food (which could be 2-3 small meals until bedtime). As I said, haphazard at best. Therefore, I can't even think about energy balance, nutritiming, etc. with the work schedule.

I've been taking points here and there and think the following could be better.

Would this be better than right now?:

• Workout days:
    [*:fk270bye]Getting up a bit earlier to cook a breakfast of a potato/rice, eggs, veg and coffee.
    [*:fk270bye]Trying to fit in some more slow digesting protein (1-2 eggs) before work.
    [*:fk270bye]After work, protein and carbs right before the workout (would some lactose free milk work?)
    [*:fk270bye]During the workout, take bites of a baked potato between sets
    [*:fk270bye]After workout, some carbs and protein (again, lactose free milk?)
    [*:fk270bye]Resume solid foods, 2-3 meals spaced out in an hour or two with plenty of vegetables, some carbs and protein

• Non workout days:
    [*:fk270bye]Breakfast of 3:2:1 of protein, carbs, fat - non white carbs such as sweet potato or brown rice
    [*:fk270bye]Before work, slow digesting protein such as eggs/some meat
    [*:fk270bye]After work (4-6 hours later), lunch with primarily protein, some carbs (non white carbs such as sweet potato or brown rice) some fat
    [*:fk270bye]Dinner of mostly protein, some carbs, some fat
    [*:fk270bye]Glass of lactose free milk before bed

• My stats are:
    [*:fk270bye]20, Male
    [*:fk270bye]5 foot 7
    [*:fk270bye]160~ pounds
    [*:fk270bye]15-16% bodyfat

• My goals:
    [*:fk270bye]Lower my bodyfat percentage to around 9-10%
    [*:fk270bye]Gain some weight, primarily non-adipose.

Forgive the horribly thought out plan, I don't really know what I'd benefit from more. I could also buy glucose powder and fish oil, but as I'm on a really tight budget (saving for college next year), whey isolate and other expensive supplements are a luxury that I don't know if I can afford.

Anyway, sorry for rambling. I hope some of you guys can help me or at least tell me what I am doing wrong :D

Thank you!

So today I tried the plan:

Here's what I had -

• 45min - 1hr preworkout:

80g brown rice
    2 eggs
    curry powder
    Pre & Intra workout:

113g potato, few bites between sets
    Immediately PWO:
    120ml cup of lactose free whole milk
    113g potato
    Can of skipjack tuna
    Post workout:
    2 eggs
    Asparagus spears
    Cherry tomatoes
    Mushrooms
    Coffee + cinnamon

• In total:
    935 cal
    109g carbs
    30g fat
    57g protein

(forgive the pre/post workout bit, myfitnesspal separated them like that)

How did I feel during the workout? Great! The timing really helped, I think. I felt strong (in relation to my work intensity and volume), and able to peform the reps without burning out. The glucose from the potato helped too. Kept me stable and energetic enough to keep going. I don't know if what I did is optimal but it sure did make a massive difference.

I'm gonna have another bite to eat in another 3~ hours, and after my 3 hour shift, I'll eat something again until dinner tonight (which I'll partition). Will I eat some carbohydrates still throughout the rest of the day with my protein? I think I might.

How is this?

Larry Roseman

The main thing is that you are feeling energetic and are able to perform to your desired level. That's a good indication whether the nutrition is working or not. See how it goes over a period of a month or two. You seem to be eating enough around workouts, although your total intake for the day is also important. You'd be having around half of that around the workout though which is good. I believe you indicated 1500-1800 calories but you should be around 2000 to me.

Keep in mind that lactose free milk isn't actually lactose free typically - it just has lactase enzyme added to it.

Unless you are deficient in lactase enzyme to begin with (lactose intolerant) there isn't much difference than using regular

milk. I do find it sweeter and more expensive though. I think sometimes there's sucrose added.

See if you can get a few cans of wild salmon or sardines a week. That will take care of omega-3.

Perhaps could use some more greens and will add builk. They are pretty cheap and easy to prepare or eat raw.

If you like cottage cheese it is a good source of slow protein as well and goes well in salads and with fruit.

Breakfast is good to prepare, and a good time for a fruit too. Perhaps your missing calories can be added there.

Your workout period seems full enough, and a few small meals afterwards is enough.

That's what I'd start with anyway :)

I'm really happy you responded FutureisNow. Your advice is always sound, thank you! :D I'll need to look into getting a fish oil supplement alright, to balance my Omega 3:6 ratio!

Another 40g protein spread out there in the last while. Feeling great about this right now. How do you think I am doing?

:)

Larry Roseman

Thanks much Colibri! I think you're doing fine. Took a look at your blog and it's great that you've decided to

give GB another go. It's not a quick fix as you say. But it sounds like you are are on the "right path" for you!

I'm sure you'll make progress in strength and your holds because of your comittment and nutritional support.

If you can't eat cold water fish like salmon or sardines a few times a week then supplements may be a good

idea - the science behind it isn't iron clad yet but the health benefits appear to be there. Other quality fats from

foods like avocado and various nuts and seeds of course, olives, coconut. I'm not paleo but do eat those

things too!

Something around 1.5-1.8g protein/kg should be sufficent to start. And needs can actually go down as you reach

your potential, as your body becomes more efficent using it and not losing it. So around 100-150g is enough really.

After that get enough quality carbs - it will spare protein so you don't burn it for energy. And they are cheaper too.

I wouldn't worry sweat every detail on nutrition. Some days will be better than others, and occassionally going

out with friends may blow your caloric budget. But on the other hand we're not living in a monastary. It does

seem that there is an ascetic mindset to training sometimes though :)

Yup seems like you're doing fine. As you mentioned you were interested in getting coaching in your blog, it seems

that there could be new opportunities for getting extra feedback and coaching through this website. I am not privvy to the

details but there are threads on it and it will be an additional feature coming up.

I didn't expect to be as "into it" as I have been the past year. I am thinking about gymnastics something like a quote

I read about chess years ago. Something like "It is a sea in which both a gnat can drink and an elephant can bathe".

May we all become elephants one day!

Have a good weekend :)

Thanks much Colibri! I think you're doing fine. Took a look at your blog and it's great that you've decided to

give GB another go. It's not a quick fix as you say. But it sounds like you are are on the "right path" for you!

I'm sure you'll make progress in strength and your holds because of your comittment and nutritional support.

If you can't eat cold water fish like salmon or sardines a few times a week then supplements may be a good

idea - the science behind it isn't iron clad yet but the health benefits appear to be there. Other quality fats from

foods like avocado and various nuts and seeds of course, olives, coconut. I'm not paleo but do eat those

things too!

Something around 1.5-1.8g protein/kg should be sufficent to start. And needs can actually go down as you reach

your potential, as your body becomes more efficent using it and not losing it. So around 100-150g is enough really.

After that get enough quality carbs - it will spare protein so you don't burn it for energy. And they are cheaper too.

I wouldn't worry sweat every detail on nutrition. Some days will be better than others, and occassionally going

out with friends may blow your caloric budget. But on the other hand we're not living in a monastary. It does

seem that there is an ascetic mindset to training sometimes though :)

Yup seems like you're doing fine. As you mentioned you were interested in getting coaching in your blog, it seems

that there could be new opportunities for getting extra feedback and coaching through this website. I am not privvy to the

details but there are threads on it and it will be an additional feature coming up.

I didn't expect to be as "into it" as I have been the past year. I am thinking about gymnastics something like a quote

I read about chess years ago. Something like "It is a sea in which both a gnat can drink and an elephant can bathe".

May we all become elephants one day!

Have a good weekend :)

Thanks! I do realise now how important a foundation is. I've only been doing prerequisites for static work and you know what? Getting stronger at these is helping me, especially with body positioning. It's strange. For the first time in my life, I can activate different muscles in my body - I have more proprioception already. It's amazing. I'm only a week into reintroducing more carbohydrates and 2 days into better nutritional timing and I feel leaner than I have ever been. I can see the top of my abs now, even after 150g+ carbohydrates a day. Low carb me would have laughed at this!

I do eat quite a bit of fish, and can definitely supplement too. Salmon is one thing I do love to eat - hopefully I can eat it more! I love avocado and coconut too, actively having coconut oil each day (coffee + coconut oil!).

The body becomes more efficient at using protein? Didn't know that, thanks! The only thing I'm having a bit of problem with is adequate protein consumption but I believe this to be work schedule related. I would have no problem on a day off, workout or no workout.

I find that if I get too pedantic about nutrition, I end up bingeing and letting go. I try not to worry too much, and just work with what knowledge I have. I do think a great deal about it though, but that's different to worrying/obsessing over it IMO. I might look into studying this in the future, it's so interesting. Especially since in the last week with better macros, I feel SO much better - strength, appetite, blood sugar, looks.

I love that quote, it's inspiring :)

Thank you so much for the advice pal, it has helped a great deal :)

Hi, this is my first post in the GB forums and I just wanted to tell you that I was actually going to post a similar thread! Reading through the replies has actually answered some of my nutrition questions (I was worried about the possibility of not committing to nutritiming as I have an overloaded semester right now), so let me thank you for that :D

Joshua Naterman
Hi, this is my first post in the GB forums and I just wanted to tell you that I was actually going to post a similar thread! Reading through the replies has actually answered some of my nutrition questions (I was worried about the possibility of not committing to nutritiming as I have an overloaded semester right now), so let me thank you for that :D

It's always best to start with the basics. Nutritiming is time consuming and is meant primarily to teach you better habits by giving you a graphical view of where you can make things better.

The single most important thing is to have the basic idea that you need more food after the workout, that you do need enough carbohydrates (and fat), and that you want to try and spread your protein out evenly-ish across the day. And obviously, try to get enough plant matter of various colors in your diet.

Everything after that, in terms of energy balance, is details. Those basics are what take you most of the way to perfection.

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.