Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Building a small gym-like thing

Eric Kamhi

I've gotten my hands on some space that I can convert to a workout center, which would be much much better than my current 'hang your rings at the local gym' solution I've been using. Ceilings are very high and there is enough space to have some fun. I had in mind to put the following equipment and I'm looking for some suggestions on extra things or things I am missing.

two sets of rings hanging from a high 6m ceiling (may be better to hang them from a metal rig that is standing about 3m high)

fixed pullup bar

swinging pullup bar hanging from ceiling

stall bars

parallel bars

parallelets

climbing rope

agility ladder

cargo net for climbing

rogue infinity rig with a few addons such ad cross members etc and a barbell

a box/bench

sectional blocks (for leg and back work mostly)

small equipment such as ab wheel, jump rope, iron cross trainers, leg braces for hanging upside down, dipping belt, straps and rubber bands for training

I'm thinking about a pommel trainer and/or a full pommel horse (can't find the ege trainer anymore, will have to find a=something similar). I really want to start working on this as it looks fun and excellent to build some dynamic strength.

It sounds like you are really able to set up a dream facility.

Don't forget about the flooring. In my dream gym there would be a mix of rubber matting and gymnastic style carpeted matting. Also a few crash pads.

If you are going to have barbell station, you will want an adjustable bench and might consider setting up an Olympic style platform.

Sounds like a great plan, have fun!

Things will of course come together in time as I will be ordering and getting the equipment (can't buy everything at once). But I wanted to get an idea of where to place things planning wise.

The power cage sounds like it is more for the really strong beasts out there with a LOT of weight on the barbells. I don't have the abaility to really load up the barbell heavy, plus the infinity cage I was thingking about will be more used for all the neat accesories rogue has for pullups etc. (and also to have something to grab/hang onto for more experimental exercises).

Flooring wise I was looking at the rubber-like flooring options that absorb some shock. What would the carpeting be better for? I ask due to lack of experience. The crash pad is an excellent idea, thanks!

Parth Rajguru

I would recommend starting out with the basics and adding from there. In my opinion, the basics are:

Power rack with a pull up bar, barbell + weights, dumbbells, rings, parallel bars, and a climbing rope. Also, make sure to keep some empty wall space for handbalancing.

Most other things are nice to have, and allow for variety and training certain movements, but are not needed. For example, some power racks can double for stall bars by using the spotter bars. You can hang rings from the power rack, use the pull up bar on top, do barbell lifts, etc. Some things like dumbbells(adjustable or fixed) are awesome for prehab and assistance movements.

One thing that I've found to be incredibly useful is a box or step that can be adjusted for height. It's very useful with mobility work, straddle L training, and a variety of other movements to change your leverage or ROM.

Of course there are lots of other things that can be bought and used like peg boards, slacklines, etc., but they are not needed for most training needs.

• 3 years later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Nicholas Smith
On 12/20/2015 at 10:57 PM, ASForum said:

I was googling and wondering if anyone had used a Power Rack/ Squat Rack as a base for Stall bars? 

I'm wondering the same thing too. I have a Rogue S-2 squat rack, which is really versatile. I attach the matador dip bars between the two uprights when needed. I hang my GB back strap from the pull up bar, and create an ad hoc lower rung by setting my barbell close to the floor on the J hooks. I weigh ~200 lbs, and the rack doesn't budge when I do back extensions movements. I've been eyeing the Rogue stall bars, and have wondered if it would work to just buy the crossmember set ($415) and temporarily attach them between the S-2 uprights with the orange Rogue pins instead of bolting them in, or than pay more for additional uprights that would have to be attached to the wall. The modularity and quality of the Rogue system is worth it.  

Everett Carroll

I haven't seen a squat/power rack used as the support for stahls but it sounds like you have a slick set-up, Nicholas. 

• 1 month later...

Nicholas-

Wondering if you got this idea working?

Some kind of modular setup with the S2 and some bars that can attach for stall bar work sounds like a dream flexible setup. What did you end up doing?

Nicholas Smith

Hi Tyson,

Sorry, no I haven't done it yet. So far I've been able to make do with the S2 pull up bar and a barbell.

If I do it, I might wait until November and order the pieces during Rogue's Matte Black Friday, 5-ships-for-free, deal. Considerable savings in shipping costs for large and heavy items.  

Nick