Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

XR strap HS on ring strength days

Chris Edgar

Hello!

Today I did the most recent ring strength WOD and for the first time easily got through the 2 XR HSPUs. Which I was very happy about, as I felt pretty sore before the workout! (Funny how the best workouts quite often happen when you feel rubbish and are debating whether to workout or not!).

Anyway, I went on to the front lever/XR strap HS/German hang... which also felt great, I did all sets for the first time without coming down from the rings! I felt really strong in the XR HS and it was as if something had clicked and I could open my shoulders alot more with locked elbows. (Still not completely open, but a hell of alot better, and considering quite alot of elite gymnasts aren't completely open in their HS, I was relatively pleased.)

So I started to play with the freestanding XR HS, which I could only hold for a second or two at a time, briefly coming away from the straps. I think my form suffered quite a bit trying to save the balance, which I feel took a slight bit of pressure off my elbows at times (therefore less TUT on the bicep tendon).

My question is, is this an appropriate time to play with the freestanding HS trying to balance, at the cost of form. Or is the strap HS perscribed purely as an elbow/bicep conditioning element, working towards higher ring strength?

Would I be better off waiting until the XR HS comes round on HS days to practice freestanding?

Or would I be better off putting it in with my FSPs? Not too sure about this as I feel this could be quite a jump in intensity...

Maybe just twice a week...

I'd appreciate anyones opinion!

Thanks guys!

Chris.

Coach Sommer
... My question is, is this an appropriate time to play with the freestanding HS trying to balance, at the cost of form ...

No.

... Or is the strap HS perscribed purely as an elbow/bicep conditioning element, working towards higher ring strength? ...

Yes.

A HS on the rings is a completely different animal than any other type of handstand and requires a totally separate progression of physical preparation.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Thank you for the speedy reply Coach! :D

Actually as I typed this out, it seemed to make perfect sense that this would be the case!

I shall wait till XR Handstands are prescribed on Handstand days, and once I feel like I need more volume, I shall play around with them in Warm ups/on rest days!

Very excited to finally be making progress in this area, and to be slowly mastering the pre reqs for iron cross!!! 8)

Couldn't have done it without this forum!

Chris.