Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Advice on setting up rings evenly on new straps

Eric Kamhi

Hello

I've run into a pickle with a new set of rings I purchased. My old ring straps had length indicators which really helped in setting up the rings equal in height. The new straps have no indicators at all, and I always find myself in doubt weather one ring is just a few centimeters lower than the other.

It's really hard for me to tell when the rings are high. It's easier when they are lower since I can see the ring height relative to body position but when they are set up high, it becomes a nagging doubt in my mind.

Do you guys have tips on lining up the rings properly and evenly? I tried using permanent markers but since the straps are black, I cant seem to find any marker that will be visible in medium light if I were to lay them out flat and put markings on them.

Thanks

It's actually quite easy, just pull the rings together so they touch and you will see if they are level or not.

If you have a fixed mount you need to be sure the rings meet in the center, if they are mounted on a bar, you can slide the straps next to each other for even more precision.

It's actually quite easy, just pull the rings together so they touch and you will see if they are level or not.

If you have a fixed mount you need to be sure the rings meet in the center, if they are mounted on a bar, you can slide the straps next to each other for even more precision.

Thanks for the tip Cole. I usually have them on a slanted beam thats up high. When I try to size them up by using the center trick I always have this feeling one may be half a centimeter or so off but that kind of disparity is probably not too big of an issue?

Dowel and small level. I run the dowel that I use for various movements between the rings and use the mini level in the middle. Once you have them level mark them as Zach said. Bit of extra time once saves a lot later on.

• 3 weeks later...
Dowel and small level. I run the dowel that I use for various movements between the rings and use the mini level in the middle. Once you have them level mark them as Zach said. Bit of extra time once saves a lot later on.

I haven't marked mine, but me and my friends always have this handy. The dowel we use is a little more than my shoulder width in length.

Thank you for the suggestions

I've ordered a white felt pen and a long level to mark my straps once they are up. Since the beams I use mine on are slightly slanted, There seems to be no easy alternative. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I have used most methods mentioned. I have a long broom handle I put in them, since it is long it sticks out the sides a fair bit so there is no real need a for the spirit level. A long uneven stick shows up an uneven angle a lot easier than one just going the width of the rings.

Instead of the special white pen you could use some duct tape around the webbing. You would want it just below or above the buckles of your preferred level, i.e. you would not want the clamping area clamping on duct tape. When adjusting you would also need to be careful the rough clamp area does not get caught on the tape. For those reasons the marker is a better idea.

You might even get away with sewing a tiny bit of thread on as a marker, of course you would not want to weaken the straps too much by putting massive holes or lots of stitching it.