Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A question on pull-up progressions.

bajramovic92

Hi, everyone. I'd just like to say that I've been lurking on these forums for far too long and finally want to actually be a part of it.

I've been on and off with BtGB (I have the book), and I recently started again around the time college started. But of course, with this way of training comes difficulties, so I have a question ... And probably more in the future :mrgreen: .

My question is on the pull-up variations, specifically on the L chin-ups and L pull-ups (pardon me if this has already been asked, but I didn't find anything when I searched the forum). I noticed that below the description of the exercises in question that instead of an L, one could use a tuck, stradle, or V variation. How does one use this to gauge progress?

When I try doing L chin-ups, they are rather difficult. I'm not sure I can keep my legs totally horizontal to the ground; is this a problem I should fix? I know that it would be if I were doing the L pull-ups, as it states that in the exercise description. Should I instead do a tuck/straddle L chin-up and then move on to the regular L chin-up OR skip the regular L for a while and then continue on with a tuck/straddle L pull-up, etc.?

I'm not a total beginner when it comes to fitness, because some of the pull-up variations that are rated at a higher difficulty than the L chin/pull-up are easier for me than L chin/pull-up, and I feel like that is probably normal for many people.

I forgot to mention that I am also training my L-sit during my FSP training, and it's coming along slowly but surely.

Advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a ton.

If you just want a variation then simply bring your knees up and do them in the tucked position. The other concern could be tight glutes and hamstring keeping you from getting and maintaining the 90 degree angle. If it is mobility related then you need to address that separately.

If you just want a variation then simply bring your knees up and do them in the tucked position. The other concern could be tight glutes and hamstring keeping you from getting and maintaining the 90 degree angle. If it is mobility related then you need to address that separately.

It's mostly just keeping the L that's giving me issues (although, it also definitely makes the actual chin-up more difficult as well). What I'm wondering though is that if I do go into the tucked position chin-up and "master" it, should I move onto the straddle version and then "master" that or should I move onto the pull-up variation and work on my L separately until it becomes much easier?

Thanks a ton.

Karri Kytömaa

The point of L-chin/pull ups is moving your center of mass to decrease leverage which in turn makes the pulling harder. The abs training part is just coating on the cake. If you lack the abs/hips strength or mobility to do them with proper form, work on that portion separately and pick the pull up variation that feels hardest, yet doable for pulling strength.

The point of L-chin/pull ups is moving your center of mass to decrease leverage which in turn makes the pulling harder. The abs training part is just coating on the cake. If you lack the abs/hips strength or mobility to do them with proper form, work on that portion separately and pick the pull up variation that feels hardest, yet doable for pulling strength.

This is what I was thinking was best to do.

Thanks a lot.

Joshua Naterman

This is what I was thinking was best to do.

Thanks a lot.

Excellent. Keep in mind that it's totally ok to go from 90 degree knees to 80, 70, and so on as you get stronger and more flexible until you are finally in the full L.