Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Why lock your elbows in planche?

nogymnast

Everything I've read/seen says you have to lock your elbows in planche but no one says why. Why? My elbows hyperextend 30 degrees so locking them with all my weight feels like they're going to snap.

Joshua Naterman

Part of that is to rely on bony support as well as ligaments and muscle/tendon units. The first two take a bit of the stress from the muscles.

If you hyper-extend, you can try to learn planche with straight arms but I don't think that's a great idea. If you hold to fatigue or don't pay attention it will be easy for the elbows to collapse into hyperextension and the momentum + your bodyweight can do bad, bad things to everything in the elbow area.

Slowly developing the support strength you need in your natural end of ROM is probably the best thing to do. You will have to be more careful than those of us who don't hyperextend and take things a bit slower, but in the end you will be ok. I know this is Coach's recommended path, and from an exercise science perspective I can see the advantages of this approach.

• Upvote 1

FREDERIC DUPONT
Everything I've read/seen says you have to lock your elbows in planche but no one says why. Why? My elbows hyperextend 30 degrees so locking them with all my weight feels like they're going to snap.

30 degrees :shock:

I didn't know it was possible!

I've known gymnasts with just about that amount of hyperflexion with no problems doing cross or planche, etc. Seriously some of them will nearly have their elbows come together during a HS on Rings.

I generally pointed out my one friend Kendrick whenever some of the girls would whine about as he had "Freak Elbow."

It can be dealt with in time. Make elbows strong as priority.