Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What is XR 1/2 press?

Patrick Van de Glind

Patrick Van de Glind

Hey guys,

This may sound like a stupid question but I can't seem to find the answer / video anywhere..

It came up when I was processing Coach's Elbow preparation into actionable goals

3) XR 1/2 press - During this element, the athlete will press up as high as possible into a half press HS maintaining completely locked elbows and rings turned out at all times. Do not attempt to press higher than it is possible for you to maintain the correct arm/elbow position. Please note that this is an essential element in this progression.

Is it a HeSPU / HSPU held at half HS?

Does someone have a video / picture to help me understand?

Thanks!

Coach calls the position when feet are at the level of the hands 1/2 Press.

From XR Support or L keeping the arms locked one would press until half press position is reached, at first this won't happen, getting there is an important milestone in the IC progression.

• Upvote 1

Patrick Van de Glind

Is it like this post from Coach:

http://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1084&start=15#p5974

Or is it the coming back from HS position piked like in this video:

6AD5RL2acu0

Or is it like this but then on the rings:

pike2sm.jpg

if not, could you please guide me to / post a video/picture

Thanks!

Here is where Coach Sommer defines the 1/2 Press

http://gymnasticbodies.com/tutorials/st ... handstand/

9) To descend, keep the hips on top of the shoulders with the shoulders completely open until the legs have circled out and around and are pointing down towards the ground once more. Do not allow the shoulder angle to close until you have arrived once more at the vertical pancake stretch position; or what I refer to as the “half press” position.

It's the very beginning of the press, feet just off the floor and body very compressed. On rings it's about where the hands and feet are at the same level.

In the post you referenced, read BlairBob's Spider HS post and the following post to get a good visual. (And of course arms should be locked out.)

Aaron Griffin

I think it's like those pictures, except with the feet still pointing down. The position you are in if you forward bend, but your hands on the ground, and lift your feet off the ground.

• 2 years later...

Here is where Coach Sommer defines the 1/2 Press

http://gymnasticbodies.com/tutorials/st ... handstand/

It's the very beginning of the press, feet just off the floor and body very compressed. On rings it's about where the hands and feet are at the same level.

so it's kinda like doing leg separations (pressing) from a straddle sit, but you're supposed to do it with L- not straddle form?