Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Weight gain

Ian Myers

A few weeks ago I stopped running because of an injured ankle. Over these three weeks, I have gained almost 10 pounds :shock: .

It appears to be mostly muscle, as I have not noticed any increases in body fat, and I imagine 10 lbs of fat would make a substantial difference in my appearance :? .

However, I have noticed that body weight exercises have become harder, for example I usually can manage up to 9 flat tuck fl pulls for a few sets, while today I began to fail during the third set of 6 reps. Does this indicate that I have gained more fat than muscle, or are muscles less efficient immediately after growth?

10lbs in BW makes BW movements a bit more difficult.

I doubt it's 10lbs of muscle. Over the course of a few weeks, you might be able to synthesize a pound of muscle.

Most likely it's mostly water retention and possibly some fat. Maybe, as I said some muscle growth.

If you are that concerned about it, watch carb intake since you are burning off that energy and water running. You could also try to do some cardio that doesn't bother the ankle. Rowing, squats, stationary lunges, swimming.

Andrew Long

I feel ya pain... I injured my ankle and gained like 7 kilos after not doing much exercise for a good 5 months... mostly fat I think =P Going to start swimming on my in-between workout days just 30 mins of easy froggy style or freestyle it actually helps my ankle feel better *the freestyle*. It could be that if you haven't been training for those few weeks you just need a week for you muscle memory to kick in... if I take a few weeks off usually second week back or after first few sessions I am back where I was pretty much

Fortunately I should be up and running within a week, so that should take care of the fat after a while 8)

Andrew Long

dam you -.- .... its going to be at least 3 more months before I can start introducing running again =( I look forward to it though because nothing kills my BF like some distance running. Used to hate it until I lived 3km from the nearest store figure I could run there to do the shopping before the end of the year I was doing triathlons and marathons and loving it =D I look forward to getting back to it

3km? Run to store, farmers walk home. Now, I'm lazy and I just do it by bike and backpack.

dam you -.- .... its going to be at least 3 more months before I can start introducing running again =( I look forward to it though because nothing kills my BF like some distance running. Used to hate it until I lived 3km from the nearest store figure I could run there to do the shopping before the end of the year I was doing triathlons and marathons and loving it =D I look forward to getting back to it

Ouch dude what happened to your ankle?

Andrew Long

I tore pretty much every ligament and a tendon or 2 in my ankle when i feel from a climb. this was in February and I was just about to start re-introducing some running a couple of weeks ago but then I re-injured it somehow *no idea how it just sorta hurt again while I was walking* so now I have to rebuild it again. Such bad timing missed out a lot of summer and soon the dreaded swedish winter will be upon me!

Andrew Long
3km? Run to store, farmers walk home. Now, I'm lazy and I just do it by bike and backpack.

Haha yea it was insanely good training.. you'd be surprised how hard it is to carry several kilos in each arm for 3 km a few times a week...

and thanks igm =) I am going to be doing everything I can to get back sooner and stronger than before really going to focus a lot more on joint prep for every joint now wrists, knees, elbows, ankles, fingers, hips and my spine...