Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

HSPU form

Jon Douglas

Jon Douglas

Had a poke around but couldn't get a solid answer on this, I'm sure it's been asked before so I'd be more than happy for someone to throw me a link.

I'm doing wods a week behind (time zone differences) and so did a HS wod this morning, HSPU ladders. I've been stuck doing them elevated on a brick or two for a while, but I did some investigation today regarding full rom.

If I keep my body straight up and down and touch the crown of my head to the floor (feet brushing the wall, stomach to wall) then a brick (maybe 4"?) is about my best. If I keep the hollow hold of my handstand but allow my feet to go in front of me as I descend until my elbows are fully closed and touch my forehead to the ground, I can bang them out on several stacked bricks.

What *does* constitute full ROM?

I hear people talking about nose-to-ground for hespus. Most freestanding PBar HSPUs I see are completed in the same way as I described, not reaching a 45 degree bottom hold but not all that far off. Is this an undesirable concession to balance, or is it plenty from that progression and time to move on?

With some more investigation I discovered a couple of full ROM Korean HSPUs in my shoulders after doing the ladders. On the basis of what I've explained here, should I be working towards consolidating Korean and strap ring HSPUs? Is a full HSPU crown to ground and straight up and down, or forehead to ground and slanted?

I appreciate any and all advice, especially if its just a link to this question answered prior.

Jon

Jon Douglas

By crown-to-ground I mean elbows going very nearly straight back and head lowering directly between my hands, if that wasn't clear. Cheers all

As you said, the slant is a necessary concession to balance, if you are maintaining a hollow you should be fine. The ROM is such that the shoulders get down to the level of the hands.

A full HSPU would be on a single rail, parallel bar or parallettes or rings. Roughly, shoulder to hands.

A full ROM HeSPU would be Handstand to Headstand.

The path of movement is always going to be slightly at an angle vs truly vertical. This is because your shoulders on any of the apparatus go forward of your hands.

Nic Branson

The angle will make it self very apparent as you learn to balance with good body alignment. There is always an angle in order for the bodies levers to line up properly while maintaining good balance.

Joshua Naterman

In any freestanding position, center of gravity will always stay over the point of contact (in this case the hands). If your head moves forward then it is necessary for the feet to move back while maintaining the hollow for the center of gravity to stay over the hands.