Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Wall Extensions

Coach Sommer

I'm trying this exercise and having tremendous difficulty, as others seem to have, in keeping a totally flat back. Just so I have it right - the back must be kept flat against the wall from hips up to scapulae (which will move as they need off the wall); elbows and wrists should stay against the wall as well.

My problem mostly seems to that my back wants to arch as I extend my arms, so should I only perform each rep until my back is coming off the wall? Over time will I eventually be able to raise arms higher?

Does this exercise correlate in any way with the half-spinal twist (as shown here: https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/13700-half-spinal-twist-yoga-position/)? I practise that regularly.

Wow!  A year gone by in this thread!  

My shoulders have opened considerably since my last post here, due to lots of static hanging, shoulder mobility work, etc.  I haven't really kept up with doing these regularly but, for sure, they are now much easier for me to do with a flat back .  The movement just seems much more fluid and I don't feel like I have to force anything to make it happen.  Happy side effect of all the other work, I guess.

I personally don't see much correlation between a seated twist and this motion.  My rotational fexibility is pretty good but I have never really been able to hook my lat/shoulder behind my raised knee.  I'm fine with that as I focus more on keeping the sit bones fully on the floor while using my back arm to pull the rotation around.  

I'm trying this exercise and having tremendous difficulty, as others seem to have, in keeping a totally flat back. Just so I have it right - the back must be kept flat against the wall from hips up to scapulae (which will move as they need off the wall); elbows and wrists should stay against the wall as well.

My problem mostly seems to that my back wants to arch as I extend my arms, so should I only perform each rep until my back is coming off the wall? Over time will I eventually be able to raise arms higher?

Does this exercise correlate in any way with the half-spinal twist (as shown here: https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/13700-half-spinal-twist-yoga-position/)? I practise that regularly.

• 9 months later...

If you aren't even close to getting a solid rep on these, would doing them while lying flat on a floor help you progress towards doing these against a wall?

If you aren't even close to getting a solid rep on these, would doing them while lying flat on a floor help you progress towards doing these against a wall?

Yes, this is the standard regression :)