Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Advice on which books/educational material to purchase

Cody Hahn

Hey everybody,

I would like some advice concerning books and educational material that has to do with the human body. I have had a couple of recommendations from Cole Dano and Cory Fair in the past but anybody's input would be great. I have waited a while until I saved up enough money to be able to purchase some good quality educational material. In case it is helpful, as far as knowledge/experience/understanding goes, I am a college kid. Don't know if that will affect what level of books I can handle as far as being able to understand and comprehend concepts but I wanted to throw that out there anyway.

Also, whether I go on to become a physical therapist ( my overall master plan and what I think I want to do the most) or become something like a college instructor and teach exercise physiology/anatomy and physiology/human movement and biomechanics, I want to be able to put to use the information and concepts in books/materials in a real-life scenario. I don't wan't just theory, I want to learn how apply these things to myself and others and put them into practice.

Here is a list of the areas that I am interested in learning about and developing.

1. strength training/exercise science and physiology

2. anatomy and physiology

3. human movement/biomechanics

4. manual therapy

5. mechanisms of injuries and how to rehabilitate as well as prevent them

6. fascial system/myofascial system/soft-tissues how to address/treat disorders in this area

7. posture/alignment/tension-length relationships even though as Cole Dano said there is no way to decide what is ideal

8.neuromuscular re-programming and re-patterning specifically as Joshua Naterman and Nic Branson have been talking about teaching the body to move properly

Again, I want very much to take what is in the material and apply it with success in real-life. I want to educate myself in these areas, and then work on fixing my own movement dysfunctions, injuries, soft-tissues, flexibility, alignment, etc. and then bring it all together to as Joshua Naterman would say, "building a truly amazing functional body".

I want to fix my body and help those around me who are interested and don't know how ( as I am right now). I feel that I need to do this mostly myself, to truly understand and know my own body, to fix problems with my body that others can't just due to them not being able to sense internal physiological feelings and sensations going on in me like anybody else. I want to do this, would do this, and will do this even if I am unable to or choose not to become some sort of therapist. I simply want to be totally functional, totally well, and evenutally very athletic when my body is ready.

It will be a neat journey. It already is frustrating. It no doubt will continue to be frustrating for quite some time. But it is possible, if they don't mind me using them as examples, Joshua Naterman, Nic Branson, and Cole Dano among others are living examples of this. I want this too.

So, any advice/ recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Cody Hahn

Nic Branson

You're in college now keep in my what classes you're taking and the information they are presenting. Opening a bit of a can of worms with books, as you get more knowledgable and have more training time you will learn how to parse information from various resources as needed.

No particular order, basically as they came to mind quickly.

Supertraining (extremely dense)

Science and Practice of Strength Training (Second Edition)

Athletic Body in Balance (good intro into the next one which is quite technical in some parts)

Movement (very dense again)

Science of Sports Training (has some good info, Eastern European author so you need some terminology)

Various articles can be found around the internet also. Louie Simmons older westside articles have some very good information in them. Have a box of Powerlifting USA mags with them all in my attic as well as various copies of Milo.

Some of the information you're looking for is really better introduced in a seminar or class room setting to help it really sink in. I did not post up any A/P as you will likely have it from your college courses it seems.

Quick list, sure you ask me another time I'll have a longer list of slightly different list. Was thinking basics if you can call a couple of the above basic at all.

Rik de Kort

Skeletal muscle structure, function, & plasticity

Richard Lieber

Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2002 (3rd Edition)

Is what Josh recommended to me a while ago. It isn't that expensive. Have yet to buy it, though.

Daniel Burnham

Anatomy trains: myofacial meridians.

Guyton textbook of physiology.

Trail guide to the body.

Kit laughlins books

Another vote on SuperTraining. You can actually download a fair amount of Verhovshanky's work off his website. Maybe some of Pavel's stuff on stretching.

Hey guys,

Thanks everyone for the recommendations. I will definitely have to look into these books.

@Nic- Do you recommend getting the DVD that goes along with "Athletic Body in Balance"?

I'm with Nic on some topics it's better to wait until you know what your school wants you to buy with that caveat here are a few thoughts.

Anatomy -

A good atlas is very helpful and the it's fairly well agreed that Netter's is the best (wish I had it, the drawings are outstanding, very clear) It's safe to get this if you are serious about your anatomy.

Movement -

Easy and inexpensive - Anatomy of Movement

Textbook - Anatomy of Human Movement

(Not a slight on the Nic but Movement is more of a manual of the FMS and SFMA systems, read Athletic Body first and if the system is of interest look into Movement)

Manual/Physical Therapy -

These are both IMHO very good and science based books, sadly unlikely to be part of your curriculum:

Texbook -

The Science and Practice of Manual Therapy: Physiology Neurology and Psychology by Eyal Lederman

Essay style and very inexpensive - this is a must read - the introduction alone is worth the price of the book

The Challenge of Pain - Wall / Melzak

Anatomy Trains is one of the most beautiful books you are likely to find, but beware, though the anatomical fascial connections are real, Meyer's conclusions regarding them are pure speculation, I don't buy it plain and simple. I know saying that won't gain me many friends.

Nic Branson

No worries Cole. Anatomy of Movement is an awesome book. I didn't suggest it because it was actually used as one of my class texts. I like adding in Movement even for those not SFMA or FMS oriented just to add a sense of application. Knowledge is one thing, seeing how it can be applied is another. You don't have to agree with an application to learn from it. Often disagreeing will teach you more as you reason out why you don't agree.

In regards to Myers. The just of the book and the connections are a good thing to get your mind wrapped around. This is all relatively new though keep that in mind. We do not fully understand the connections or how they impact performance or pain patterns. Educate yourself, never stop learning, know your shit but be humble..