Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How to balance for handstands on parallel bars?

Andrew Long

Andrew Long

Hej,

I always see a lot of info when it comes to balancing a handstand on the ground and it seems the main idea behind it is to use your finger tips or palm of your hand to counterbalance any lean. My question though is how would you go about learning better balance on rings or parallel bars? I am asking this because I have to do handstands on my knuckles and I assume you would use the same techniques to balance on the floor with knuckles as a parallel bar handstand. I have to do them on my knuckles due to a wrist problem that requires surgery to fix but isn't an issue for me really so I haven't had the surgery.

cheers for your help =)

Coach Sommer

Handstands on the parallel bars are controlled via adjustments in the wrists rather than the fingers as on floor. A Ring Handstand however is a completely separate animal and one that I recommend that you leave until later in your GST development as it has nothing to do with handstands on either the floor or the parallel bars.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Handstands on the parallel bars are controlled via adjustments in the wrists rather than the fingers as on floor. A Ring Handstand however is a completely separate animal and one that I recommend that you leave until later in your GST development as it has nothing to do with handstands on either the floor or the parallel bars.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

So is a floor and PB handstand still a prerequisite for rings handstand?

Coach Sommer

Balance wise - yes, strength wise - no. Ring strength, which ring handstands are part of, is a completely separate animal with its own list of prerequisites and progressions.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Erik Sjolin
Balance wise - yes, strength wise - no. Ring strength, which ring handstands are part of, is a completely separate animal with its own list of prerequisites and progressions.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Any chance that we'll be seeing a Ring HS tutorial/essay in the future? The progressions are straightforward, but for something as difficult as a ring HS there must be a lot to think about.

Daniel Burnham

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Any chance that we'll be seeing a Ring HS tutorial/essay in the future? The progressions are straightforward, but for something as difficult as a ring HS there must be a lot to think about.

Read this today. Thought you might find it useful.

https://usagym.org/pages/home/publications/technique/2000/2/stillrings.pdf