Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Correcting Asymmetric Handstand

azey47

• 3 months later...
John Conkle

I have a left/right balance differential also.  The consensus is "keep training and it'll correct itself."  At what point does this tend to happen?  It seems possible that training on top of an asymmetry could solidify the compensations.

Would be helpful to hear from someone who had a documented/pronounced issue and was able to move beyond it

--> Following this thread

John Conkle
On 1/30/2014 at 2:02 PM, azey47 said:

Thanks for your feedback Prometheus. I'm resetting to square 1 (again), but this time I intend on really fixing the problem. I've confirmed that I have a functional scoliosis problem of very mild degree. In front of a mirror I can control the straightness of my torso if I am standing upright (like an overhead press), but handstands are crooked in front of the mirror no matter what I do. I just don't feel how to get them straight. I've tried maximally contracting everything as you suggested, but unfortunately they just come out super crooked  :( .

The good news is that I can fairly reliably get headstands and forearm headstands to be straight, so I will work on symmetry in these positions before moving up to handstands.

For the scoliosis, the video below looks promising, and I will be doing his advice daily (3 sets of the stretches he showed, 3 sets of the exercises he showed):

Otherwise I'm training F1 and H1, and will stay at the early stages of H1 until I have mastery and symmetry without having to rely on a mirror.

After doing the drill he's describing (reach up & overhead to touch the wall, rotate arm closest to the wall across body, floss T-spine) it felt like my "tight" side began to bear more weight during the gait.  Will continue to tinker with it