Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Myofibrillar vs sarcoplasmic Hypertrophy.

Tavis G

Hey guys, i have a question between these two. I find that through bodyweight strength training usin myofibrillar hypertrophy, ( 1-6 rep range, i am having a hard time putting on a little size. I want to switch to sarcoplasmic, since it builds size a little faster, but i want to become as strong as i can be without looking like a bodybuilder. Meaning i want that rock hard muscle, not the bloated looking ones. Does anyone know how to build more size faster with myofibrillar hypertrophy? I am getting great strength increases, but not that much in size. I want some size to show around. Help please!

I actually dont know, i eat whenever im hungry. Usually alot, and what i eat is ALOT of peanut butter, milk, and cheeseburgers.(not fastfood) Maybe about 3-4 times aday.

I actually dont know, i eat whenever im hungry. Usually alot, and what i eat is ALOT of peanut butter, milk, and cheeseburgers.(not fastfood) Maybe about 3-4 times aday.

A little of topic, and I understand if you can't completely control what you're going to eat, but you've got to improve your diet. It sounds like you eat little to no fruits/vegetables, and most likely fairly un lean(is this a word? :mrgreen: ) beef. If youre a teen with your parents like me, you've gotta at least ask them to increase the vegetable/fruit supply, or if you have them but just don't eat them, start eating them. You will feel better.

On topic again, count how many calories you eat in a day, and try not to change anything.

Joshua Chan

Mix your workouts. Work for muscle size at least twice a week. You don't need weights. Do pyramids of wide-grip, under-grip, dorsal grip pull ups, chin ups.

The first approach to strength training has to be through increasing maximal strength, no doubt about it, and who ever says otherwise it just wrong. Now, with a certain amount of muscle there is an actual limit to how strong you can make it. Once you feel like your strength is just no increasing anymore, and neither is your size, then it's time to pack on some more muscle and immediately make it as strong as possible through the 3-5 reps type of training.

So, do pyramids. or 8-12 reps 90 secs rest, 3 series. 2 different exercises.

A work of caution, be sure not to exceed on mass, and be sure to do a lot of stretching. And of course, be sure to eat right and a lot.

Hope it helps

Chan

sounds like you eat little to no fruits/vegetables
, and most likely fairly un lean(is this a word? :mrgreen: ) beef.

The only fruit i like is apples, veggies are corn, green beans, rice, potatoes. i can get by lettuce. and a couple others. But i cant stand any others. Yes im a teen(14) and live with my parents, i do eat lean meats like chicken, steak a couple times, but mostly burgers.

Joshua Chan
Yes im a teen(14)

Please disregard my previous post and please take no offense in what I'm about to say for none is intended. DO NOT concern yourself about packing muscle at your age, wait a few years and you'll start to see the muscle very fast without having to train for it. Serious muscle increase doesn't happen till you hit 16-18, give or take. This is actually a very good thing, focus on increasing your flexibility and maximal strength, I promise mass will come in the future.

Joshua Naterman

Your metabolism is sky high, but you are hitting the right age to start growing. The biggest challenge will be to not do too much, because you are going to be able to do a LOT of work but that's not the best way to grow.

Your best bet is to eat as much food around your workouts as you can, and pretty much as much as you can the rest of the time too.

As for your workouts, I would suggest you follow the same advice I gave Ragnarok in his recent strength + hypertrophy thread.

Yes, when you get older you gain mass and strength faster because your testosterone goes through the roof and rises until 40 years. I was just working to gain a little mass because then i could have some to show.

Joshua Naterman
Yes, when you get older you gain mass and strength faster because your testosterone goes through the roof and rises until 40 years. I was just working to gain a little mass because then i could have some to show.

I thought the same thing when I was your age but that's BS.

You grow the fastest during adolescence IF you get enough food and train properly. You may have another year or two to go before you really hit your growth stride but if you want to grow you really need to focus on eating as if it is your job in life, and focus on training exactly like I laid out for Ragnarok.

You need to have strength days AND size days, so to speak, in your weekly workout cycle if you want to really grow. Don't focus much on explosive, super fast movements. The slower movements will make you grow more. You need to have a fast day each week so that you don't become slow, but read the strength + hypertrophy thread, especially my last few posts in it.

I want you to get what you want!

Nic Branson

Your number are also off, most males start to see lowered testosterone levels well before age 40. Today's environmental factors depending where you are in the world cam also have a dramatic impact.

Slizz, im am just going to keep my training of explosove and maximal strength. But each workout i usually have a pyramid(chest dips or pullups at the end of my workout. Is this enough to spark a little growth?

Ian Legrow

Travis, you need to Less concerned about size. Let me explain what i mean. you are 14? IF you see my videos i am not big, i am lean, and very thin. 5'11 136lbs. When iwas 14 i weight 75lbs. Yes 75lbs. I weight lifted with my father on and off, aqnd ate a ton of food. But the long and short of it is this, you will probably not notice a lot of muscular growth until you have stopped growing. Now, at 23, i have not only noticed my strength gains, but my musclar gains as well, and i don't train hypertophy at all. If you notice Coache sommers videos, That young gymnast whho does a straddle planche on rings and shows Basic ring strength series one, is very very strong, but not very muscluar. it simply becasue he is still growing. And you are too, as was I. Eat lots of healthy foods (including fruits and veggies becasue that will also help your immune system) and you will get stronger. But once you stop growing all the things that you will be able to do, will then start building muscle faster then when you were younger becasue you topped growing. Understand. try not to focus on "how muscular you are" becasue since you haven't stopped growing yet, you will probably just end up being disppointed. Continue working hard little dude.

-Ian

Thanks Ian. Ive just realized i am not gonna train size at all since when i get older im gonna get size easier. Because i wonddered how my friend got so big and he in the same grade(going into 10th next year) his triceps are huge! But he weightlifts. How he got that big i didnt know. BUt i just learne he was 16, and im only 14. Thats how he got that big. Im only 6ft 145 lbs. and he is 5'11 and 170 i think.

Joshua Naterman
Thanks Ian. Ive just realized i am not gonna train size at all since when i get older im gonna get size easier. Because i wonddered how my friend got so big and he in the same grade(going into 10th next year) his triceps are huge! But he weightlifts. How he got that big i didnt know. BUt i just learne he was 16, and im only 14. Thats how he got that big. Im only 6ft 145 lbs. and he is 5'11 and 170 i think.

You're doing just fine Tavis, I was smaller than you at your age. You probably haven't hit your hormonal surge yet. When you do, if you eat enough (it will seem like a chore, because you'll need to eat something crazy like 5000+kcal if you're active) you will literally grow like a weed. Most of the time people just dramatically under-estimate what the caloric requirements of an adolescent athlete are. At minimum they are something like 20% higher than an adult of the same size, but often they seem to be much much higher than that because an adolescent body can build tissue multiple times faster than an adult. Give it the protein and the energy and any adolescent that has hit his hormonal surge will grow nearly exactly as if they are on steroids. The hardest part is eating that much food.

Robert Rowland

You're doing just fine Tavis, I was smaller than you at your age. You probably haven't hit your hormonal surge yet. When you do, if you eat enough (it will seem like a chore, because you'll need to eat something crazy like 5000+kcal if you're active) you will literally grow like a weed. Most of the time people just dramatically under-estimate what the caloric requirements of an adolescent athlete are. At minimum they are something like 20% higher than an adult of the same size, but often they seem to be much much higher than that because an adolescent body can build tissue multiple times faster than an adult. Give it the protein and the energy and any adolescent that has hit his hormonal surge will grow nearly exactly as if they are on steroids. The hardest part is eating that much food.

As a small guy, I hate hearing this. I simply lacked this kind of guidance and knowledge when I was that age. Heed Josh's advice, Travis!

Joshua Naterman

As a few examples of this, my 30 year old bones take about 3 months to add the same amount of bone density as yours can do in about 3 weeks. That means your bones adapt about 4 times faster than mine do to impact stresses. Good thing I built dense bones in my childhood :)

Your body can also process much, much more protein than our grown up bodies can. No one is quite sure what an adolescent's anabolic maximum is but it is definitely more than 2.2g/kg of bw. Of course you need the calories too, but your body can do some amazing things with the right food.

If I knew what I know now when I was 14 I would have been one of the scariest high schoolers in history.

Joshua Naterman wrote:

If I knew what I know now when I was 14 I would have been one of the scariest high schoolers in history.

I completely agree with all your words. The problem is would i build more strength at that stage as opposed to size? By my senior year i will be huge!

Rik de Kort

You should have kids. :P

Feels bad man.

Same here I guess :D Though I still have one more year left, but I don't think anything spectacular will happen

18y.o., 180cm, 66kg, I am the definition of the word "scary".

Srsly though, you younger guys, don't care about others and wait till you start to grow. That won't happen until you stop growing. (this is poorly written :D :D :D you have to stop growning in height, and then you'll start growing in size, simply put.)

Which in my case is going to happen soon, or I hope so.

Another thing is, eating that much food to grow, regarding your age, is seriously hardcore. 5000kcal daily, that is a LOT of food.

FREDERIC DUPONT
(...) If I knew what I know now when I was 14 I would have been one of the scariest high schoolers in history.

This is the whole point, isn't it?

If I knew what I know now when I was 14, I'd have created Apple, Microsoft & Dell, shorted Polaroid, Worldcom and Enron, prevented the US Embassy hostage crisis in Iran, and 9/11, warned people in Bhopal, Seveso, Tchernobyl and Fukushima, alerted authorities about the 2004 tsunami, the earthquake in Christchurch, and the floods in New Orleans.

I would also have bet a lot of money on France at the soccer cup 1998, and on NZ at the Rugby world cup last year...

I would own gold mines, oil fields, major corporations, tracts of land in Argentina, Brazil and East Africa, real estate in London, Tokyo, Hong kong, Shanghai and New york, factories in China...

I would also secretly control Goldman Sachs, JP Morgan, Citi, and the NY FED!

Most people would believe I am a genius... no, they would believe I am THE Genius!

8) :lol:

Joshua Naterman

You should have kids. :P

Hahaha, perhaps! That would certainly be nice!

I completely agree with all your words. The problem is would i build more strength at that stage as opposed to size? By my senior year i will be huge!

I wouldn't worry about it much, but your size will increase with your strength as long as you have enough food and protein. Your job will be to train intelligently and eat as much as you can and as often as you can, making sure there's protein and carbs in every meal.