Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

3 Useful Things for New Guys

Gerald Mangona

Gerald Mangona

Few things that have helped me through this phase where I'm still working through Prerequisite FSPs...

(1) iPhone App, "Interval Timer". Great for FSP work. If you're doing 3 sets of a reverse plank or front tuck lever for 18 seconds with 30 seconds rest in between, this is a great tool for keeping track. You can literally set it to 18 second sets with 30 seconds rest between and it'll automatically count it down and sound a special alarm at 18 seconds followed by another one when the rest period is over. When you're doing 30s sets, it's easy enough just to look at a clock. But you start doing this for awhile with weird numbers combined with a slowly deoxygenating brain, pretty soon you're like, "Whoa, was that 18 seconds or 28 seconds?"

(2) iPhone App, "Metronome". Great for doing FBEs at specific tempo. When you've got a 3-1-3 or a 5-2-5 set, it's pretty tempting to start rushing the count in you brain as you start to get fatigued. Set the metronome at 60 beats per second, and you won't be able to cheat.

(3) Straight Arm work. Josh Naterman does a great video on plank leans as a prerequisite before German Hang work. Well, of course, for me, even the straight arm plank leans pushed me to injury. So for those of you still struggling to lower the straight arm progressions to be within your strength range, go buy this push-up/pull-up bar http://www.amazon.com/Body-Solid-Mountless-Pull-Up-Push-Up/dp/B002HG6QOO

I stand at the bottom of a staircase, put this on the 4th stair, externally rotate my shoulders, put my hands on the parallel grips, and hold for 60 seconds. Been building up volume and strength now through 16 weeks of SSC. Not sure if my next move is to turn all the way out to have my palms facing forward or if I should put the apparatus on the 2nd or 3rd step first. I'm probably going to try the latter, but stop if my wrong.

In any case, I've seen definite hypertrophy in my bicep tendon, but more importantly, I've increased volume steadily WITH NO INJURY. That alone was amazing. In any case, it might not be til year-end before I can do the with fingers back on the ground, but so be it. Progress is progress.

J

Quick Start Test Smith

You can also use a kitchen timer to do the FSP's. It's not as efficient or as easy as using something like the iPhone and its app, but you can start and stop and you only need to be able to see it. Not the best, but better than free counting ;)

Karl Kallio

I like these.

post-50551-13531537374434_thumb.jpeg

The portable ones can be set on the floor or wall etc so that you can see it from any angle. Some places have two synchronized clocks. 20 seconds on 35 off would mean you chase the blue (etc) hand around the clock backwards in 5 second intervals for your start time while counting forwards 4 ticks to mark your 20 seconds work period. (60-20 work.....rest to 55....55 to 15 work....rest to 50)