Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Press Handstand from L-/V-sit or Manna on floor

Thomas

I finally reached my Manna and now I thought about how to get to a press handstand from a Manna on the floor because it looks cool and it has a D value.

I thought about first learning it from the L-sit and then proceed to the press from Manna.

I can do a straight arm pike press handstand from L on Pbars, but on floor I'm really struggling with getting my legs through because im not able to pike enough actively.

How do work that skill? Some good drills? Already doing weighted pike to get a closer pike and lots of pike presses from L-sit on Pbars.

Rik de Kort

Not that I'm in any position to tell you what to do, but have you tried compression work? It focusses on active pike flexibility.

Also, pics or it didn't happen!

Thanks for your help first of all.

I will make some pictures on wednesday when I get back to the gym if this is useful.

When I searched for what you mean by pike compression I found a similar thread where Ido posted some useful exercices I will try.

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=3115

Ian Legrow

Compression absolutley. You work onn this for a bit and it will definitely solve the problem. Also, i love the manna! do you have a video of you doing it?

That's awesome, manna is a very hard skill! Work hard on the hip compression, and send us a video of you doing manna press to handstand!

Edit: I can mention something that can help a lot with the hip compression. It's that the hip compression must really be done from the hips and not from the back, because it gives you more space to pass your legs between your arms. The difference can be seen if you do a pike on the ground. If you touch your knees with your nose, a lot of the stretch comes from your back instead of your hamstrings. If you keep your back flat or slightly arched, you should reach a lot closer to your ankles, or even your toes, as bending at the hips while keeping your spine straight not only give you a better reach, but make you bend from a lower point, which allow you to "shorten" your lower body. I hope what I write is clear enough, cause I'm ESL...

Rik de Kort

I second what Vagabond says. I can get my nose to my knees in standing pike if I pull on my legs, but part of the stretch is coming from the lower back... which is what we don't want because in press handstands, you have to get your hips above your shoulders first and then pull up your legs. This means you have a straight back, but piked hips. If you're not flexible enough, your legs will be further back and you'll be planching more.