Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Weighted pull ups/chin ups trainning

Uselis

Hey guys,

currently doing weighted pull up pyramid trainning.Before I was doing without weight.My whole trainning went from 1 to 10 and going down from 9 to 1.I stoped because I suspect I am doing more of an endurance trainning then strenght and muscle gain.I added 3kg(lol I know but never used weight before) and was barely able go up to 8 and down.So my question would be:

When its considered to be more of a endurance trainning then strength and muscle gain?I mean up to what point is better to keep adding weight instead of going for higher ladders in pyramid?Like in example above I stoped at 1-10 and decided to add weight.Now I am doing up to 8 and down.So what number roughly you'd say is better to stop and add weight again?

I hope I express myself clear here and thanks for helping!

Roughly speaking -

Strength: 1-5 reps

Hypertrophy: 6-12

Endurance: 13 +

Seeing as this site is primarily concerned with strength gains, work sets are generally in 1-5 reps, but in the WODs there are exceptions to this.

Rik de Kort
Roughly speaking -

Strength: 1-5 reps

Hypertrophy: 6-12

Endurance: 13 +

Seeing as this site is primarily concerned with strength gains, work sets are generally in 1-5 reps, but in the WODs there are exceptions to this.

I'd go with 1-8 for strength, 8-12 for hypertrophy and 12+ for endurance.

Ok,I understand now what repetition range is for strength,hypertrophy and endurance but it's still a bit unclear to me.

Lets say my goals is to gain strength and muscle mass at same point if it's possible obvious.

1.By doing 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 workout I am getting 64 total weighted pull -ups.

2.By doing 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 I am getting 100 total weighted pull - ups.

By doing first option I would add weight quicker because I already doing like this and am used to it.

By doing 2nd option it would take longer to build repetitions and then start to add weight.

So what should I choose considering I want to get strength and muscle mass at same time?

I workout like this 3 times per week and eat clean.

Thanks for helping

Ok, I somewhat misunderstood, you are talking about ladders which are a method of building total volume. Personally for your goals I think going from 1-8 or 1-10 is too wide a spread to concentrate you in the strength / growth range which is 5-8 reps give or take on either side.

One idea, since you like ladders, would be to concentrate them a bit more say 5-6-7-8-7-6-5 = 44 reps of course making them challenging but not to failure. If 44 reps isn't enough volume for you after running thorough it once take a longer rest and do it again, but really that should be enough if you make the reps intense enough.

To control strength to growth ratio you can play with your start stop points lowering for more strength raising for hypertrophy. and keep the ladders to 4-5 rungs to better concentrate the effects.

Well rungs like 1-2-3 is actually more for warming up as well as 3-2-1 for cooling down.

If it's not that effective for growth and strength like starting from 5-6-7-8-7-6-5 could I do for example -5-6-7-8-7-6-5-6-7-8?

That way I would get about 1 hour workout which I ussually aim for and net 70 total pull ups.44 seems a bit to quick.What do you think?

Thanks for helping