Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Preparing the Elbows and Biceps for Iron Cross Training

Coach Sommer

Coach Sommer

The elbows and biceps need to be gradually prepared prior to beginning strenuous iron cross training. The series below is slightly easier version of the one that I begin my own athletes with. During all of these steps pressure should be felt on the biceps or more specifically in the brachialis where it crosses the elbow. If this pressure is not felt, then continue working that variation until you are strong enough to execute it correctly.

Elbow Preparation Series for Iron Cross Work:

1) XR support hold - Focusing on elbows locked and straight is critical here. The rings must also be turned past parallel.

a) It is also quite acceptable to insert both XR support swings and XR swinging supports into this phase. 10 repetitions of large XR swinging supports can be especially challenging, as well as a lot of fun , while struggling to maintain the correct position.

2) XR L-sit.

4) XR HS - There should be a substantial degree of pressure on the biceps during a correctly performed XR HS. If this pressure is not present, in all likelihood either the elbows are bent or the rings are not turned out past parallel.

3) XR 1/2 press - During this element, the athlete will press up as high as possible into a half press HS maintaining completely locked elbows and rings turned out at all times. Do not attempt to press higher than it is possible for you to maintain the correct arm/elbow position. Please note that this is an essential element in this progression.

5) XR Planche variations - Some individuals may find that they are physically strong enough to proceed directly from XR HS work to the iron cross training as planche training can be a time consuming proposition. However for those who see it through, achieving a solid planche prior to beginning serious iron cross work will pay substantial dividends in the long term. This is what I do with my own athletes.

6) XR Iron Cross work.

Simultaneously alongside with the above progressions; the athlete may also engage in elbow supported iron cross static holds and iron cross pulls.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 13

Rik de Kort

Thanks Coach. I had read it already, but now it's readily available for everyone interested.

• 5 months later...
Sven Ravnstag

Are iron crosses with elbows supported putting your arm through the rings and performing a "half arm" iron cross with the bottom of the rings resting just proximal to the elbow joint?

• 7 months later...

I just want to make sure of the vocabulary used: XR = External Rotation? HS = ? XR 1/2 Press = ? XR Planche = Front and Back levers correct?

Is there an index with all of the vocabulary and maybe short videos of the movements?

Thanks,

Glenn

Karri Kytömaa

XR is for extreme rings, HS for handstand. Other should be obvious then.

Alessandro Mainente

do you think that is possible to use back lever as a warm up element for advanced SAS elements?

• Upvote 2

Coach Sommer

Yes, if the elbows are not strong enough to handle BL, more advanced ring strength elements are out of the question.  

Alex, you are correct.  In your case, the BL would be a nice warmup element.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 4

Sven Ravnstag

I've enjoyed training the tuck BL as a warmup for my F7 training.  I use the same format that I used to with the WOD:  4X15sec sets.  It's a nice way to ease into the day's work and my muscles/joints seem to respond well to the gentle stress of it.

• 3 weeks later...
Ralph Palutke

when in the above progressions would you recommend to start training the hands facing backwards planche lean?

Kim Jongseong

when in the above progressions would you recommend to start training the hands facing backwards planche lean?

That's what I'm doing. I use both tuck planche on XR and the hands facing backwards planche lean.

• 3 months later...

Any tips on building a proficient 1/2 press position?

Lots.  

However they are currently reserved for GB seminar attendees only until R2 is released.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 2

Lots.  

However they are currently reserved for GB seminar attendees only until R2 is released.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Coach, do you have recommendations as to how long XR Support and XR L-sit holds should be?

Coach, do you have recommendations as to how long XR Support and XR L-sit holds should be?

Yes to this also.

However the relevant progressions and programming is once again reserved for GB seminar attendees only until the release of R1.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 1

Keilani Gutierrez

Yes to this also.

However the relevant progressions and programming is once again reserved for GB seminar attendees only until the release of R1.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

can't wait ^_^ gotta finish F1&2 to earn it though  B-)

• Upvote 1

Alessandro Mainente

The are some elements that can be considered basic swing to prepare the elbows for advanced SA elements.

If Rings courses needed XR to be performed i think that actually swing elements like giants on rings cannot be performed on this type of equipment. 

Also there is a lot of technique and mobility involved. for sure preparing your shoulders with H1 can be a solid basis for the swing elements on competition rings.

Does the Ring series include swinging elements?

No.  There are no technical gymnastic skills in the GB Ring Courses.  

Only pure strength.   :icon_cool:

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 7

Murray Truelove

I work out at home, with only a pull-up bar to hang my rings off. Is this suitable enough for the ring series? 

Connor Davies

I work out at home, with only a pull-up bar to hang my rings off. Is this suitable enough for the ring series? 

I'm going to hazard a guess at no.  If you don't have room to muscle up on it, you probably don't have enough room.

Are there any trees nearby?

• 1 month later...
Murray Truelove

I'm going to hazard a guess at no.  If you don't have room to muscle up on it, you probably don't have enough room.

Are there any trees nearby?

There's a park near by with some equipment in that I can use. However it would be a bit of a pain to have to bring a load of stuff to the park just to workout. I'll still probably get R1 and just do what I can from it.

• 3 weeks later...
Bill Köhntopp

There's a park near by with some equipment in that I can use. However it would be a bit of a pain to have to bring a load of stuff to the park just to workout. I'll still probably get R1 and just do what I can from it.

What else do we need except rings? :o

When its getting warmer, we train under a wooden predestrian bridge over a river, nice view, nice training. maybe you have a bridge too for training :)

Murray Truelove

What else do we need except rings? :o

When its getting warmer, we train under a wooden predestrian bridge over a river, nice view, nice training. maybe you have a bridge too for training :)

Depends on the format I suppose. For H1 I need a stick and some weights, for F1 I need dumbbells. Not saying it's impossible only that I'd rather be able to train at home.

Murray Truelove

So am I. If R1 is integrated into the F series like H1 is that would require either working out in two locations or bringing everything I need with me for the F workout as well.

If R1 only requires rings for the workout and can be performed on its own then it wouldn't be a problem. Either way we won't know until it's released.

• Scott Malin unpinned this topic