Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Biceps tendonitis? Might need help from Slizz

Patrick Keogh

Patrick Keogh

Recently I have started feeling pain in my left elbow. It is hard to pinpoint exactly where the pain is coming from as all my forearm muscles are very tight and my elbow cracks a lot

I think this pain started after doing german hangs? again not exactly sure.

This pain does not stop me from doing anything whilst I am training, I do not feel pain whilst I am doing any exercises. The time I do feel this pain is when I slowly supinate and pronate my wrist and when I slowly straighten my arm. Because of this, and also the main area where I feel pain (pretty much the attachment point of the biceps tendon) I am thinking that this is coming from my biceps tendon.

As far as rehab goes, what should I do? I have seen Slizz's elbow prehab video where he recommends the planche leans etc will this be beneficial for rehabbing this problem? and are there any other exercises anyone can recommend?

Also I may be wrong in assuming the problem is coming from my biceps tendon. So there may be some general elbow rehab work that will help with this also?

Thanks in advance guys

Patto

Rik de Kort

Sounds very much like tendonitis. You can work out fine, so that means it's an early stage. You're in luck as far as you can be lucky when you get tendonitis. :P

In any case, see a physical therapist.

Alessandro Mainente

i've suffered from this situation before starting gymnastic and before starting a sensated conditioning program for joints and tendons. following the exact pre reqs of the Coach i don't suffer from injury since 1 year (without consider accidental injury in the gym but nothing regards not proper conditioning.

when i had your injury the first thing i did was stop with all the straigth arms movement until the pain was gone.

only after the pain was gone i started with exercise to increase blood flow to injuried parts with high reps and low weigth (fore at least 4-5 days a week) and at the same time i did ligth isometrich to increase strength (these are very useful expecially for the recovery process). after some strength was achieved i did more eccentrich work. when the pain is gone the return to straigh arm work was gradually cutting the total volume of straigh arms work by 1/8 and adding 1/8 every week.2 months seems to be a reasonable time to reach the condition before tendonitis; is more a caution. the eccentrich work is a stable thing during the entire period. the reason is simple, seems that for what is concerned with strength, all people have a inhiboty system wich protects body from injury, this system active the different body reflex (according with golgi and neuromuscolar spindles) to prevent extreme stress over the joints with the risk of injuries. eccentrich movements permitt to decrease this inhibitor system by decreasing the control of antagonist-agonist muscle, golgi works etc..this let to the possibility to unlock more motor neurons to increase the gain and strength and also permitt to increase the capacity / rate of fire on single neuron. For these reason consider the idea to use eccentrich movements and isometrich to increase strength combined with stretching (stretch permitt to sat at our SNC that a rom is now sure because is supported by muscle elongation).

For my personal experience i noticed great improvements doing biceps curl or inverted mu variation to increase biceps strength. i think it can plays a big role on my biceps life.

Patrick Keogh

OK thanks for the advice :)

I hadnt actually been doing that much straight arm work. Went away from a lot of the gymnastics stuff because my wrists were very weak when it came to my false grip. This disheartened me quite a bit as it seemed like I was getting nowhere with my false grip, and this was not allowing me to get anywhere with my muscle up. I came back after a 3 month break and thought i'd see how my false grip was. All of a sudden I could do it, and within a week I could do a muscle up - I'll admit it wasn't slow and controlled, but I could get there with no kip at the beginning. This gave me encouragement to stick at my gymnastics work. So I decided to work in some back lever stuff - all I was doing were german hangs, and I could really feel the stretch/strain being put on my elbows and the tendons there. All I was doing was maybe 10 second holds? and sometimes even with my feet on the ground so it was more of a stretch than anything, but 3 weeks or so after starting this the elbow pain started. I have always had short biceps tendons so maybe this made it easier for me to get injured doing this?

As I mentioned, I dont feel this pain whilst I am working out. I even tried a few tuck front levers and had no problems with this. I have no problem with planche leans - fingers pointing either way, it is only when I try a german hang stretch, not hold, that I feel the area that causes me problems, and even then it isnt really a pain.

So for rehab do you guys suggest I continue the planche leans and german hang stretch. Start doing light biceps work for high reps. And continue my deep tissue work I have been getting on my forearm muscles? Sound ok? anything else?

Thanks again

• 4 years later...
Tobias Åkeblom
On 5/28/2012 at 1:02 AM, Alessandro Mainente said:

i've suffered from this situation before starting gymnastic and before starting a sensated conditioning program for joints and tendons. following the exact pre reqs of the Coach i don't suffer from injury since 1 year (without consider accidental injury in the gym but nothing regards not proper conditioning.

when i had your injury the first thing i did was stop with all the straigth arms movement until the pain was gone.

only after the pain was gone i started with exercise to increase blood flow to injuried parts with high reps and low weigth (fore at least 4-5 days a week) and at the same time i did ligth isometrich to increase strength (these are very useful expecially for the recovery process). after some strength was achieved i did more eccentrich work. when the pain is gone the return to straigh arm work was gradually cutting the total volume of straigh arms work by 1/8 and adding 1/8 every week.2 months seems to be a reasonable time to reach the condition before tendonitis; is more a caution. the eccentrich work is a stable thing during the entire period. the reason is simple, seems that for what is concerned with strength, all people have a inhiboty system wich protects body from injury, this system active the different body reflex (according with golgi and neuromuscolar spindles) to prevent extreme stress over the joints with the risk of injuries. eccentrich movements permitt to decrease this inhibitor system by decreasing the control of antagonist-agonist muscle, golgi works etc..this let to the possibility to unlock more motor neurons to increase the gain and strength and also permitt to increase the capacity / rate of fire on single neuron. For these reason consider the idea to use eccentrich movements and isometrich to increase strength combined with stretching (stretch permitt to sat at our SNC that a rom is now sure because is supported by muscle elongation).

For my personal experience i noticed great improvements doing biceps curl or inverted mu variation to increase biceps strength. i think it can plays a big role on my biceps life.

Sorry for bringing this old thread to life. But when you say all straight arm movement, do you include handstand and plank work? I have a stubburn right shoulder/bicep injury that I am now going to rehab serioiusly.

Alessandro Mainente

PLEASE GUYS it is a 2012 post, there is no necessity to resuscitate it again.