Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Planche questions.

Tavis G

Hey everyone, i am currently doing a 40 sec tuck planche, and a 5 sec aadvanced tuckplanchee on pbrs. Would the static strength from pbars transfer over to floor? I think it would but just have to build wrist strength.How long would i have to train the planche to get from 40 sec tuck planche to 60 secs? I am doing 3x20 static hold.

Scott Malin

You are correct. The strength will transfer, but planche depends a lot upon hand position in regards to which muscles it favors. Find which position works best and continue to work on your wrist strength and mobility. How long it takes to 60s really depends on your diligence to exactness of technique and how you take care of your body in terms or prehab and recovery.

Thanks Cory! I know it will take a while for my body to get it, but my thing is i want to get the straddle by this time next year, i know i might be rushing it, but i atleast want to hold the straddle for 2 seconds, and to just know i can do it. I absoluty refuse to get injured so once i reach 2 seconds, i will stop, then focus going back to tuck, frogstand, etc. to increase my elbow strength. I will spend as much time as i need to fell comfortable with full planche. Then once full planche becomes easy with hands backwards for 10 seconds( this is gonna take a really long time :( ) then iron cross here i come! :D

Joshua Naterman
Thanks Cory! I know it will take a while for my body to get it, but my thing is i want to get the straddle by this time next year, i know i might be rushing it, but i atleast want to hold the straddle for 2 seconds, and to just know i can do it. I absoluty refuse to get injured so once i reach 2 seconds, i will stop, then focus going back to tuck, frogstand, etc. to increase my elbow strength. I will spend as much time as i need to fell comfortable with full planche. Then once full planche becomes easy with hands backwards for 10 seconds( this is gonna take a really long time :( ) then iron cross here i come! :D

If you keep training intelligently, you should have no problem holding a short straddle by this time next year. You might not be ready to be training it heavily, but you will be beginning to phase it in much like you are ready to start slowly phasing in the advanced tuck with 1-2 4s holds 1-2 days per week. This will benefit the tuck planche work as well as the transition to adv tuck.

The two biggest things that will keep you from achieving your goal is A) trying to press forward too quickly and B) not performing bent arm strength training. Really focus on learning proper PPP without ever losing the hollow and taking 4-5 seconds down and again back up. They are extremely difficult that way, but will build the strength you need. Same goes for dips, do them hollow. You'll feel your chest go crazy.

Other than that, practice the planche muscle activation and do your rows and whatnot correctly so that you avoid shoulder injuries!

With all that and decent nutrition you pretty much can't fail.

The two biggest things that will keep you from achieving your goal is A) trying to press forward too quickly and B) not performing bent arm strength training. Really focus on learning proper PPP without ever losing the hollow and taking 4-5 seconds down and again back up. They are extremely difficult that way, but will build the strength you need. Same goes for dips, do them hollow. You'll feel your chest go crazy.

Other than that, practice the planche muscle activation and do your rows and whatnot correctly so that you avoid shoulder injuries!

Slizz, i do all of what you said (dips are my favorites, i can do weird variations that kids in school have never seen) But any way thanks. PPP i do with full body tension and not letting back sag

. And on planche leans how far should i lean forward and howw long should i hold it?

Joshua Naterman

Slizz, i do all of what you said (dips are my favorites, i can do weird variations that kids in school have never seen) But any way thanks. PPP i do with full body tension and not letting back sag

. And on planche leans how far should i lean forward and howw long should i hold it?

With the leans, since your tuck planche is pretty strong, I don't think there's a problem with you targeting the angle that you can hold properly for 20s and doing 2-3 15s sets. It's also a good idea to do these with your hips level with your shoulders. You don't necessarily have to have your feet on a chair to do this, but it's a good idea so that you get used to the straight body. As you get used to it you can lift one leg and then the other for a few seconds at a time to start getting used to the tension you will need to develop.

Edit: Almost forgot! Once your PPP get really strong and you're doing them pretty easy for 40-50s sets with constant tension with your hands near your center of gravity I would start working on wall planche push ups. Probably in a straddle at first.

Thanks for the fast reply slizz! Yes wall planche pushups are very tough for me right now(can barely do 1, it wont stop me though) :lol: . Would you recommend handstand pushups also? When i focus on the shoulder in the HSPU, man the burn feels great!(pump addict lol) Just need stronger shoulders.

Joshua Naterman

Handstand work in general should be a higher priority than planche work from a gymnastic perspective, partially because so many more skills pass through HS than planche and partially because proper HS work strengthens the upper back and shoulder girdle evenly, which of course helps a lot with planche work (and other strength skills as well).

Try to keep a parallel bar hand position even when doing them on the floor, as this forces you to keep the elbows moving straight backwards instead of out to the side. This is much, much harder and builds more strength in the shoulders and upper back. Just don't go so low that you lose good form!

Thanks! I will create a youtube channel on my progressions, form, and other things i will probably post it here just to check form.

• 1 month later...

Hey slizz, i can do 4 second down 4 second up PPP now. 3X5. Would you recommend me do wall pushups now?

Joshua Naterman
Hey slizz, i can do 4 second down 4 second up PPP now. 3X5. Would you recommend me do wall pushups now?

Not until we see video and can check form. I would recommend doing two sets of 404 (what you are doing) for 6-7 reps and two sets of 2s down, 2s up with the same form for 10-14 reps. It will help you to build some more volume before moving up the ladder, but volume won't help unless you have good form.

Joshua Naterman

Whatever you think you need, really. I wouldn't worry about that too much. 2-5 minutes should be fine.

Joshua Naterman

Too fast, but you do a pretty good job of keeping the hollow shape!

If you can get a metronome app for your phone, or make and save an mp3 of you counting the seconds while watching a clock for 60s to use as an audible timer so that you have something to listen to instead of trying to count, the tempos will be much easier to keep! You're doing a good job, it's hard without a guide.

Like Zach said, you push backwards but that's normal at first. Starting with your heels against the wall and keeping them there the whole time is an easy way to avoid that! It makes the push ups a bit harder... :twisted: Have fun!

Yeah thanks. Thats my main focus is the hollow body shape. Ima use my phone next workout and listen to some music. Ill upload it next chest/triceps workout.

Too fast, but you do a pretty good job of keeping the hollow shape!

If you can get a metronome app for your phone, or make and save an mp3 of you counting the seconds while watching a clock for 60s to use as an audible timer so that you have something to listen to instead of trying to count, the tempos will be much easier to keep! You're doing a good job, it's hard without a guide.

Like Zach said, you push backwards but that's normal at first. Starting with your heels against the wall and keeping them there the whole time is an easy way to avoid that! It makes the push ups a bit harder... :twisted: Have fun!

So is it not a big deal if he isnt fully protracting the scapula?

Joshua Naterman

He's doing his best, I think that will come with time. They are pretty good, honestly. When your spine is straighter you look less protracted than you are. There is room for improvement, and that will come from some push ups with a plus done slowly for high reps. Doing them on the elbows is harder than doing them on the hands and specifically works the main protraction muscle, serratus anterior.

Which one if fully protracting tha scalpula? Pulling your shoulders together or down? And should i have my butt a little higher because when i go down, they look a little akward.

Which one if fully protracting tha scalpula? Pulling your shoulders together or down? And should i have my butt a little higher because when i go down, they look a little akward.

Retraction is pulling the scapula back, almost like puffing out your chest, while protraction is the opposite. This is protraction - viewtopic.php?f=13&t=6448&hilit=planche+leans&start=15]

If you havent already, read that thread

Martin Hodges
Same goes for dips, do them hollow. You'll feel your chest go crazy.

Josh,

Can you elaborate more about staying Hollow in the Dip position. The hollow is one of those things that I always think i've understood it, and then I read a post and question everything.

P.S. I'm not trying to steal the conversation from the OP's topic. Was just curious.

-Martin

Joshua Naterman
Same goes for dips, do them hollow. You'll feel your chest go crazy.

Josh,

Can you elaborate more about staying Hollow in the Dip position. The hollow is one of those things that I always think i've understood it, and then I read a post and question everything.

P.S. I'm not trying to steal the conversation from the OP's topic. Was just curious.

-Martin

Sure: Don't let the back arch at all. No lower back arch, no upper back arch, no neck arch. It might be easiest to start in a hollow PB support and then do a negative. You'll feel it right away, and pressing back up will be quite a bit harder.

More likely than not this has already been answered. Anyway.. as i been progressing with planche my hands have been slowly facing more backwards(thumbs to side, fingers backwardish) unconsciously which i find funny. Now to the point, was wondering if i can planche with hands backwards would i be able to planche with hands sideways + forward or is it like learning a new skill?

Rik de Kort
More likely than not this has already been answered. Anyway.. as i been progressing with planche my hands have been slowly facing more backwards(thumbs to side, fingers backwardish) unconsciously which i find funny. Now to the point, was wondering if i can planche with hands backwards would i be able to planche with hands sideways + forward or is it like learning a new skill?

There's a lot of torque on the wrists in planche with hands forward. So you'll have to build up the wrist strength.