Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

bar hangs

twan

I was wondering wether or not you should depress your shoulders while hanging on a bar ?

Recently i have been using bar hangs for increasing my grip strength, even one arm bar hangs.

I was wondering however if you should hang totally relaxed or you should depress the shoulder.

I can do one arm bar hangs for like 15 sec each arm, but i can't seem to depress my shoulders while doing so.

Don't ever depress your scapula and try to do a "hollow hang" with no arch in your lumbar spine, in my opinion, if you can depress hard enough, you will injure yourself badly. At least that's my experience from the last few weeks.

What happened falcon? Sounds like you got too aggressive with something or just had fluke accident.

In principle there's no reason you can't be hollow and depress, it will pull you towards front lever.

But to the OP yes a bar hang is a dead hang, perhaps with an added hollowing of the body.

Well, when I do that, I get pain in my shoulders. It feels very unnatural. I even had my friend try it, and he confirmed that it felt painful.