Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"overtraining" handstand? External, internal rotation issue

Martin de Jesus Ponce Robaldino

Well, it happened the last friday..

Sincerely i don't know what to think or what to feel.

I'll describe the situation:

On friday 19 of may, i was working out only handstands, trying to open my shouder angle the most that i could, i went into a fatigue state, after something like 90 mins of HS tries. Finally, i tried to lift my left hand, and i couldn't, i really wasn't able to lift it up. I wasn't feeling it, i tried to hold even a bottle of water, and i couldn't lift it.

I got scared, took a shower and gave a masage to the shouder area, i felt a little better, and went to bed.

Next day, i was feeling a little strange about my shouder. I tried to work up a couple of hanstands, and in the 3rd try, happened the same thing. I rested all day, trying to massage the area. There was no pain, but only i couldn't lift my arm.

Sunday i went swimming, and got really tired from my arms very quickly.

I thought it was only about fatigue, and that i needed some rest.

Today tuesday, i tried to workout normally, i was aiming to do sets of 8-10 pullups, and, i couldn't even do 3 in a row. I have no pain, just i don't feel some movements of the shoulder, especifically internal or external rotation.

I "tested" my shoulder, and the problems come when i try to make an internal or external rotation, i couldn't lift even a 5 lb medicine ball...

I'm planning on rest a couple of days, if i don't recover, i'll have to visit a physio in order to check out if there's any injury or if definitely is just fatigue....

Has someone experienced something similiar?

I have to mention, that i do lots of prehabilitation and mobility work, such as shoulders dislocattions, wall slides, stretchings, so it was very strange to feel what i feel...

Aaron Griffin

Might be rotator cuff related. I'd see a doctor or physio if it persists

Get to a good physical therapist ASAP!

The funny thing with injuries is they don't always hurt, not being able to lift the arm past a certain point is something that needs to be looked at, as it can be an indication of a supraspinatus tendon tear.

In the meantime rest, and light rehab.

FREDERIC DUPONT
(...) an indication of a supraspinatus tendon tear. (...)

Oh dear! not fun!

Arthroscopy + 4-6 months rehab...

Arms hanging on your sides, can you lift your arm in the plane of your scapula hand supinated?

If your shoulder elevates to your ear and the arm remains hanging, that might be it!

90 minutes handstand... what were you thinking MArtinPonce?

FREDERIC DUPONT
FiC you've been doing your homework!

LOL... not really Cole Dano, it's just a case of been there, done that!

I fell in the Himalayas last June and severed my right supraspinatus tendon...

(...) an indication of a supraspinatus tendon tear. (...)

Oh dear! not fun!

Arthroscopy + 4-6 months rehab...

Arms hanging on your sides, can you lift your arm in the plane of your scapula hand supinated?

If your shoulder elevates to your ear and the arm remains hanging, that might be it!

90 minutes handstand... what were you thinking MArtinPonce?

Yes, i can do it... it seems to be very strange, everything is aproximating to "normal" condition.

I can move my arm in any directions, i can do all kind of moves, without pain,but, the only thing worries me, is the fact that i have no strength for internal or external rotation of the shoulder....

i'll be having a couple of days of rest, and then, test my shoulder in diferent moves, if there's still being a problem, i'll go to the doc..

i'll film he moves that i can perform and the moves i can't

Nic Branson

If there are ANY moves you cannot perform then go see the Doc. You should always have normal movement. Not being able to do a portion of that is not a good sign and has to be looked at. The sooner the better. Waiting too long after a tear makes the surgery and healing a much larger headache. Not worth the risk.

• 2 weeks later...

Like said previously, if you can go see a doctor or a physio, do it right now. I had something similar happening to me about two years ago, and it put me off upper body training for about a year. I was undocumented and didn't have money, so I had to deal with it alone. I tried to get back to it a few times, but I just hurted it more. I had to wait several long months, and then very slowly and progressively start again, doing HSPU, waiting for the inflammation to go away, doing a few more, until I could do a little bit every day without it hurting. Same with pull-ups. I never knew exactly what I had, but I suspect it was related to performing and training on exhausted rotator cuff and scapula muscles. It's why I now advise to everybody against training handstands and strength moves past a certain fatigue level. Don't go to failure more than one time, and after you did, rest. Otherwise, your muscles might become unable to provide stabilisation for your shoulder, and then, very bad things happen.

Thanks for all the comments

It's happening something not strange but curious.

I have strength again, but the problem is that is not as before...

I have deloaded work and volume, and i'm resting for a while.

I can do again pullups and everything i wasn't able to do, the difference is that i can't do much volume.

my shoulders feel "normal"

On wednesday i'll see a doc =)