Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Stuck on advanced tuck planche for around 6 months.

Yaad Mohammad

Yaad Mohammad

I've been working on the advanced tuck planche for 6 months. I can't get past 12 seconds and sometimes after resting a week or something, I get back to 8 seconds or something. The funny part is, I could do a straddle planche 6 months ago:

QLXjy4PaRVo

I decided to not do straddle planches anymore till I got a minimum of 30 sec advanced tuck planche. But I'm not getting there and my straddle planche has become worse than that now. I really don't know what to do. I can hold a 10 second front lever and a 10 second back lever or even longer. I can hold a bend full planche, do a V-sit everything but I'm still stuck on that advanced tuck planche. Is there anything I can do to FINALLY move on?

Philip Chubb
I've been working on the advanced tuck planche for 6 months. I can't get past 12 seconds and sometimes after resting a week or something, I get back to 8 seconds or something. The funny part is, I could do a straddle planche 6 months ago:

QLXjy4PaRVo

I decided to not do straddle planches anymore till I got a minimum of 30 sec advanced tuck planche. But I'm not getting there and my straddle planche has become worse than that now. I really don't know what to do. I can hold a 10 second front lever and a 10 second back lever or even longer. I can hold a bend full planche, do a V-sit everything but I'm still stuck on that advanced tuck planche. Is there anything I can do to FINALLY move on?

Go halfway back to tuck planche and really start to accumulate time. When you come back, adv tuck planche will be easier.

yuri marmerstein

Do you do anything else besides planche holds?

Pseudo planche pushups? Planche leans? HS to planche negatives?

If you are at a plateau you either have to change something in the way you train or go back and fix the issues that made you plateau in the first place.

As Zach pointed out, your shoulders are sinking a lot in the straddle planche, and I would not really call that hold. You may have to cast your ego to the side and just work scapular control for a while without really touching the planche.

Yaad Mohammad
Do you do anything else besides planche holds?

Pseudo planche pushups? Planche leans? HS to planche negatives?

If you are at a plateau you either have to change something in the way you train or go back and fix the issues that made you plateau in the first place.

As Zach pointed out, your shoulders are sinking a lot in the straddle planche, and I would not really call that hold. You may have to cast your ego to the side and just work scapular control for a while without really touching the planche.

Well, now you mention it. I never did trained the tuck planche with planche holds. I just did of every planche exercise a thing randomly throughout the day. And after 2 months I gor my 60 seconds. After that I started doing only holds of advanced. Maybe I should return to my old technique. Problem is, I have trouble recovering. I used to recover way quicker. Now it's too slow

Yaad Mohammad

Okay, I'm working on my scapula control. I made a video with some scapula-control exercises. Can you guys watch at and see if I'm doing it right?

dbTdszWq8Ns

Also, I did the leaning in advanced tuck planche thing like you said. It's also in the video.

Joshua Naterman

You can see your problem at 50s and when you start doing PPP. I actually stopped watching at that point, and I almost stopped at 50s. Your problem is that you are not training the planche body shape. Your back is arched, body is not hollow. Sternum needs to be pointing at the ground the whole time, body needs to be hollow. This is really tough, it requires an enormous amount of strength to do this with the right body shape.

You don't have the strength you need because you haven't trained the correct shape. You need to start by getting the right body shape and then training PPP and planche leans with it. You'll find out immediately that it is much, much harder with the correct shape.

Your tuck planche push ups are weak for the same reason, and if you notice at the last rep you start arching your back. Your advanced tuck isn't even a real advanced tuck, you have a hugely arched lower back to try and elevate the hips because you are not strong enough to do so with just your shoulder girdle, lats, and pecs. Even then, you don't get them there.Again, that lack of strength is due to the lack of proper shape during your strength training. Your straddle planche isn't helping you, it is hurting you by reinforcing the wrong muscle activation. Your tuck planche isn't at the right height, and your adv tuck lasts for maybe 1 second before you lose shape, so start there (tuck planche) with the statics and use the PPP and planche leans to re-learn your body shape.

You will be stuck forever until you make this correction, and when you do you will make pretty good progress. Faster than you think.

Yaad Mohammad
You can see your problem at 50s and when you start doing PPP. I actually stopped watching at that point, and I almost stopped at 50s. Your problem is that you are not training the planche body shape. Your back is arched, body is not hollow. Sternum needs to be pointing at the ground the whole time, body needs to be hollow. This is really tough, it requires an enormous amount of strength to do this with the right body shape.

You don't have the strength you need because you haven't trained the correct shape. You need to start by getting the right body shape and then training PPP and planche leans with it. You'll find out immediately that it is much, much harder with the correct shape.

Your tuck planche push ups are weak for the same reason, and if you notice at the last rep you start arching your back. Your advanced tuck isn't even a real advanced tuck, you have a hugely arched lower back to try and elevate the hips because you are not strong enough to do so with just your shoulder girdle, lats, and pecs. Even then, you don't get them there.Again, that lack of strength is due to the lack of proper shape during your strength training. Your straddle planche isn't helping you, it is hurting you by reinforcing the wrong muscle activation. Your tuck planche isn't at the right height, and your adv tuck lasts for maybe 1 second before you lose shape, so start there (tuck planche) with the statics and use the PPP and planche leans to re-learn your body shape.

You will be stuck forever until you make this correction, and when you do you will make pretty good progress. Faster than you think.

Alright... thanks for the criticism. I really appreciate it. Matter o' fact. I tried it again. Here is my planche lean and my tuck planche and my advanced tuck planche. Am I doing it correctly now? I don't feel a very big difference in the amount of strength I use. Also, isn't the tuck planche supposed be like that? Not a flat back? I always thought I did a very high tuck planche if I compare them to other people.

NKtwvPpkOq0

Yaad Mohammad
Aw, beat me to it. Honey do list on mother's day wins. Like Josh said, pause your video at 50s and break down everything he pointed out. Do a search on a post that Dillon did on Planche lean. It shows a perfect front and side shot on how this shape is suppose to look. Once doing Pl leans correctly, they are nothing to snicker at. You will feel how much harder all your planche work is due to this correct shape because of the previous improper activation. Abandon your perceptions on what you thought you had right in the planche and self correct ASAP. You are in a gymnastics facility, surely someone can form check you and help you out. But I highly advise you seek out Dillon's post. Maybe I can look it up really quick in the next 30 mins or so.

*EDIT: faster than I thought.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=6448&start=15#p57581

This should be a sticky btw with the growing number of planche problems. Or until Ed. 2. I'm assuming it will be covered :)

OH NOW I GET IT. I HAVE TO PUSH OUT MY SHOULDERS. Here another video!!

ElTSuaF1ATs

I feel a huge difference now. The movement is completely changed for me. Can you please confirm this is correct?

Joshua Naterman

Latest video is much better!

The lean is still kind of arched at the lower back, but that's going to take some time to correct. Overall much better, for sure. You should be able to feel your lats working pretty hard, especially from the pump and tiredness/fatigue they will feel after each hold, maybe 10-15 seconds afterwards. If you flex them before and after they should feel noticeably different. That will let you know you are really doing things right! You should feel that all the way down to your hip.

What is happening, and I know this might be confusing, is a few things at once.

Serratus anterior is pulling the shoulders forward, down, and together... not the pecs. Pecs are pressing the arms towards the wall in front of you and somewhat together. ARMS, not shoulders. Lats are pulling the shoulder tightly into the socket so that all this pressure is evenly distributed in the socket instead of being focused at the front or back.

First thing's first: Try to push your spine into the ceiling, it looks like you're not quite there but moving in the right direction. Try to do this with your shoulder blades, not with your arms. That's the biggest key to success.

Yaad Mohammad

Can you guys also do a form check on this? I know I'm not holding the advanced tuck planche long, but I'm suffering from a lower-back injury.

FEYp2vywU2o

If this is the correct posture for the advanced tuck planche and for the dips, then I know what to do after I recover from this injury.

Joshua Naterman

You lose the posture about halfway up into the press from support to planche. What I will suggest for you is to really pay attention. I will be posting a video today addressing a number of these concerns, from the plank to the lean to PPP to your push ups. There is one common theme you will see, and that is the position. I will also point out the faults in my own movements. Doing these correctly is a monumental feat of strength.

You are moving too fast in your planche push ups, considering your displayed level of strength. My guess is that you would have a lot of trouble using the pace I will show. This will be important to address. I will try to map out the important stuff without taking too long. Wish me luck!

Yaad Mohammad
You lose the posture about halfway up into the press from support to planche. What I will suggest for you is to really pay attention. I will be posting a video today addressing a number of these concerns, from the plank to the lean to PPP to your push ups. There is one common theme you will see, and that is the position. I will also point out the faults in my own movements. Doing these correctly is a monumental feat of strength.

You are moving too fast in your planche push ups, considering your displayed level of strength. My guess is that you would have a lot of trouble using the pace I will show. This will be important to address. I will try to map out the important stuff without taking too long. Wish me luck!

Alright, I wasn't really focusing on the presses. The advance tuck planche was the important one. I did those presses to see if I haf enough strength left. But I am looking forward to your video! Good luck

Edit:

RYkjPLhyrbA

Joshua Naterman

Same problem. I am editing the video footage now, but it may not be up until tomorrow. I may need to do some re-shoots.

Basically, your problem is the same in that your back arches as you rise into adv tuck and you lose full protraction. I do too, as you'll see in the video, and that tells me that I'm not strong enough yet to be messing with adv tuck at all. I still belong at PPP, which are plenty hard when done correctly. I have done a couple reps of these now, and made one important discovery for the use of an old tool I have as a PPP/ planche lean aid. You can do the same thing with a mover's dolly. Costs about 7 bucks at the local hardware store, but you can make your own for cheap with a 4x6, a drill, a bit, and four office chair wheels. You can also do this for free if you have a skateboard. Basically, by putting the feet on a more or less frictionless surface you force the scaps and pecs to stabilize a lot because they are the only thing keeping your body in place, not the pressure of your feet on the floor.

Anyhow, that was off topic... Watch your planche 3 video and look at your body as you move into planche and then adv tuck. When you go into adv tuck there should be a visible increase in lean but not an arching of the back. This is exceptionally obvious in the cover screen shown by default before the video starts. The increased lean is there, but as you get further forward you start arching your back instead of lifting the hips with the scaps and pecs. You can actually see exactly where it starts, about 2/3 of the way into the forward lean, right around the 12 second mark. THAT is the position that you should probably be training, and not the full adv tuck. It's a large step forward, but you need to work there for a while before going further towards the adv tuck. I'll see about adding a segment showing what I mean more specifically later on.

You're doing great, we just need to focus on these polishing touches so that you get where you want to go.

Yaad Mohammad
Same problem. I am editing the video footage now, but it may not be up until tomorrow. I may need to do some re-shoots.

Basically, your problem is the same in that your back arches as you rise into adv tuck and you lose full protraction. I do too, as you'll see in the video, and that tells me that I'm not strong enough yet to be messing with adv tuck at all. I still belong at PPP, which are plenty hard when done correctly. I have done a couple reps of these now, and made one important discovery for the use of an old tool I have as a PPP/ planche lean aid. You can do the same thing with a mover's dolly. Costs about 7 bucks at the local hardware store, but you can make your own for cheap with a 4x6, a drill, a bit, and four office chair wheels. You can also do this for free if you have a skateboard. Basically, by putting the feet on a more or less frictionless surface you force the scaps and pecs to stabilize a lot because they are the only thing keeping your body in place, not the pressure of your feet on the floor.

Anyhow, that was off topic... Watch your planche 3 video and look at your body as you move into planche and then adv tuck. When you go into adv tuck there should be a visible increase in lean but not an arching of the back. This is exceptionally obvious in the cover screen shown by default before the video starts. The increased lean is there, but as you get further forward you start arching your back instead of lifting the hips with the scaps and pecs. You can actually see exactly where it starts, about 2/3 of the way into the forward lean, right around the 12 second mark. THAT is the position that you should probably be training, and not the full adv tuck. It's a large step forward, but you need to work there for a while before going further towards the adv tuck. I'll see about adding a segment showing what I mean more specifically later on.

You're doing great, we just need to focus on these polishing touches so that you get where you want to go.

I just did a lot of planche exercises trying to maintain the correct form. I have to say, I really felt it in my lats this time. Never have I felt something in my lats before. I also did 2 X 30 seconds tuck planche. They very very hard. I nearly collapsed at the last 2 seconds of both sets.

Joshua Naterman

Awesome! That's a very good sign, and very good holds as well.

I am re-doing the video, should be up tomorrow afternoon.

• 3 weeks later...
Joshua Naterman

Sorry, got caught up with end of maymester. Will work on it this week, have not been completely pleased with all footage, but it is getting put together. I'll have to have my friend Bryan shoot the video, there are angles we need to shoot that just don't work with the tripod.

Andreas Magneshaugen Ullerud

That fine. I hoping made question didnt make any fuss (right word?). :)

• 3 weeks later...
Yaad Mohammad

I'm really making some progress, I can do a tuck planche press to handstand with straight arms now! Couldn't do that before and I can do handstand pushups.

Joshua Naterman
I'm really making some progress, I can do a tuck planche press to handstand with straight arms now! Couldn't do that before and I can do handstand pushups.

Sounds like progress to me!!!

• 3 months later...
Yaad Mohammad

Thought I'd update you guys. Haven't really been doing a lot of planche training, but I did some these few weeks and this is what I got today: OOEhkhzgMVE

That's right, a 3 second straddle planche. Not perfect of course, there is a pike and it's slightly too high, but it's coming. This motivated me to continue my planche training!