Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Beginner handstand balance critique

Sirdejavu

Hi everyone,

I have some weight training experience for about 4 years but only really got serious about the start of last year. I turn 21 in October, 1.77m, 78kg. No gymnastics background, but I have some sprint canoeing and basketball experience.

I found out about this forum near the start of this year and have been intrigued by gymnastics and handstands ever since.

For the last 2 months I have been working wall handstands (both stomach and back to wall variations) almost daily, and have recorded a recent video for critique. Sometimes I can go within 2 inches of the wall on my stomach to wall handstands, and I use that as a form of warm-up.

1) From what I can see myself here, my shoulders are not open and there is rib flare along with anterior pelvic tilt. However, in this position I seem to have the most amount of balance. Should I instead realign myself and work on a completely straight handstand before progressing? It is likely that I feel more stable in this position because my body is better at balancing in this position. Also, my feet, when pointed in the orientation seen in the video, give me more stability than when my toes are pointed to the sky. Is this also due to the fact that I have spent a longer period of time balancing in this specific feet orientation?

2) When should I be able to start working on freestanding handstands? I was thinking when I am able to do a 60 second handstand akin to what is seen in the above video (using the wall as kickoff but then not touching the wall from that point on). Is that reasonable?

I thank anyone in advance for any advice/comment/critique you bother to provide. =)

Alessandro Mainente

yeah as you say your shoulders are not completely opened, continue with wall handstand trying to elevate your shoulders always this helps to you to achieve more shoulders extension also do stretching for lats in hollowed position can help your objective!

when you are doing handstand with the head out if you don't have a great shoulders extension your body tries to compensate it by arching your back, probabiliy you can get more extension by taking the head a little bit in but this is not an excuse to not work on more shoulders extension...

Aaron Griffin

I think it's generally recommended to keep your head more straight. I've always heard "look at your hands through your eyebrows".

Also - point your toes!