Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Beginner routine and Planch push up question

Makaveli

Im new to chalistenichs training but have been working out since I was 14 years old (currently 31 years of age). I have a background as powerlifter and bodybuilder and has always been quite strong in relation to my bodyweight (72 kg). I would say I have a good basic strength. Unfortunately I have always been careless with the core-traning. Poor posture and back pain led me to chalistenichs witch I began with january 2012 and absolutely love it!! My core strength is much better already but it still lags behind my strength in the rest of my body. My currently routine now looks like this (copied a routine from a member at this site and added a few changes). Is this ok or should I add or remove any exercises? I never train to failure and train one on, one off, one on, one off...

Day 1:

warm up + stretching

frog stand 60 sec

dips 5 x 5

back lever variation 60 sec

chins 5 x 5

human flag reps. 3 x 5 (max hold 15 sec)

L-sit 60 sec

V-lift 5 x 5

Front lever variation 60 sec

Pistolsquat 5 x 5

Explosive weighted jumps 5 x 5

Day 2

warm up + stretch

frog stand 60 sec

muscle-up variation 5 x 5

back lever variation 60 sec

fron lever row (tuck) 5 x 5

l-sit 60 sec

dragon flye 5 x 5

arch-ups 3 x 10-12

dips crunches 5 x 5 (don't know correct name, no dip, just lift the legs as high as i can while in a dip position and then hold for a couple of sec)

front lever 60 sec

leg exercise 5 x 5

Day 3

warm up + stretch

Frog Stand 60 sec

HSPU variation-5X5

Back lever 60 sec

TOPS pulls-5X5

L sit 60 sec

Hanging leg levers-5X5

W/S wipers-3X10

Leg squat/calf rais-5X5

I guess you probably get this question all the time but I`m wondering how long it would take to learn to do a couple of planch push ups with proper training and what type of exercises I should focus on to leads this skill? Im from sweden so I have to use qoogle translate in some words, hope you`ll understand :)

Joshua Naterman

Hej!

Well, you will want to work on the push up progressions. And planche leans. Those are super important, without the leans you are really going to have trouble getting a planche.

Dips are nice, but you will want to slowly add forward lean to them until you are eventually doing tuck planche push ups. You will also want to do weighted dips.

I do not suggest that you focus on planche push ups, I suggest that you work on all-around upper body work. Make sure you always work scapular retraction with rows and pull ups, and do at least as much work for your back as you do for your pressing.

Joshua Naterman
Thanks for your help!!

No problem! I think it will help a lot if you think about the kind of body structure you need for a planche and just focus on those for a while instead of the planche push ups themselves.

1) solid hollow position face up and in plank. that is basic. If you can't do push ups and pull ups without losing your hollow body that is really where you need to start. Use video to be sure.

2) strong+flexible wrists, strong elbows. Planche leans, rope pull ups, first knuckle push ups, wrist push ups (on the back of the hands... start standing up on the wall) and wrist stretching with bent and straight arms. That is the limit of the GB method that is public knowledge. There is much more to learn at the seminars.

3)push ups with a plus : use google to help learn.

4) scapular retraction both with a hollow body and with an arched upper back. Think pushing the chest forward, not squeezing the shoulders back. It seems to be a better visualization for retraction. Just learned that from Mike Boyle yesterday!

5) stomach-to-wall handstands and proper HeSPU development (don't arch... this is very hard, don't feel bad starting with a small ROM. I have corrected this and my ROM is much smaller now. No pride = faster progress in the long run).

You must build a body that is capable of planches before you start trying to practice them. Build the structure first, then learn how to use it.

Obviously, I hope, #1 applies to all horizontal pressing variations.

Hej Makaveli

I realy recomend reading this:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=6448&start=15#p57581

I Tried to get the planch a couple of years ago but gav up because I got nowhere. I then went coaches a seminar and learned alot. So since august last year I started to train for the planch again. One thing to have i mind is that planch will take time to learn. So just be patient.

anyway I´m also from Sweden (Bromma, Stockholm) and have been following this site for a couple of years and if your interested i bodyweight/gymnastic strenght you hit the right spot! There is som much knowledge here!

There will be a seminar in Finland this November. If you have the possibility to go its something I realy recomend!

http://www.gymnasticbodies.com/store/se ... minar.html

Rik de Kort

wrist push ups (on the back of the hands... start standing up on the wall)

I found that this is a bit difficult to execute properly as my wrists tended to slide down when I exerted pressure. Currently I'm using a knee one-wrist variation: it's like a normal knee pushup, but with one hand flipped over and performing the wrist pushup motion.

Joshua Naterman

Nice, I never thought of just doing one hand at a time in the wrist push up position. Should be very scalable based on how much you lean on the support hand... Assuming, of course, that you aren't superman doing one-handed wrist push ups with the other hand behind your back! :P

I noticed that people with a shorter upper torso have easier time with planche because their centers of gravity is closer to the shoulders, so they don't have to lean as much.

Rik de Kort
Nice, I never thought of just doing one hand at a time in the wrist push up position. Should be very scalable based on how much you lean on the support hand... Assuming, of course, that you aren't superman doing one-handed wrist push ups with the other hand behind your back! :P

I didn't think of it completely by myself either, got the basic idea from Al Kavadlo's video on wrist pushups. That guy can do legit one-arm pushups on the back of his hand. :shock: