Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A question about "Going Up?"

seiyafan

Y'all seen the going up video, that move from BL press up to maltess is actually a F move, in the same category as Victorian. really?

Actually, correct me if I'm wrong, but a victorian is only an E skill. I have no idea why. It's situations like these where I don't understand the code of points. A back lever pull to Maltese is F, so worth more than a victorian. However considering the amount of people who can do a back lever to Maltese and how many can do a Victorian, shouldn't their positions be swapped? A victorian is arguably a harder, rarer move. Maybe it's the fact that BL to Maltese combines two strength holds. There may be some rule about this in the fig...

At least the code of points is revised every 4 years, after each Olympics. And I agree with you that they should give more points to encourage people try more difficult movements.

The back lever pull/press to maltese is an insanely difficult skill in its own right. You have to know that a static 2s victorian is an E and a static 2s maltese is a D. Two of Rodrigues's victorian skills are Fs. The back lever > maltese should be compared to a front lever > victorian which if ever done would probably be a G. Besides, I read that the reason why there are not many people who could do a victorian is because there are not many people who train it (I think that was from Coach).

Right, you made some very good points B1214N. I agree that a BL to Maltese is rediculous. And I also remember coach saying somewhere that the Victorian would be more prevalent if more people trained for the skill. I'm not saying the that the fig should be revised, because I'm no gymnast, but I find it interesting is all.

However, I have only ever seen three people do a Victorian, and Danny Rodrigues was the only one who comes close to a perfect Victorian. The other two were severely piked and extremely bent arms, hips not in line at all with the shoulders, things like that. If so few people can do it, and only one man in the world can do it really well, I'm wondering how much of it is a lack of training for most gymnasts, or if it takes certain rare genetic features to achieve...also, isn't the reason most people don't train for it because it was always considered impossible til recently? Also it might not be worth the effort for an E move. It would be interesting to know just how hard or easy the Victorian is, compared to other static or dynamic elements.

I saw a video that has Chen Yibing commenting on the world gymnastic competition and he said that he believed the reason why Victorian was downgraded from a F to an E was because it's not an aesthetically appealing movement.

Wow, Yibing thought it should be an F skill? It must be crazy hard if he thinks that. That's interesting though, I think the Victorian is a beautiful movement. I guess its not as aesthetic as some others. I wish Danny Rodrigues would explain how he developed the move...

Rik de Kort

I think Coach Sommer would be able to provide good progressions. I'd imagine it'd be something along the lines of maltese development, only the other side up. ;)

Do you have have a link or connection to the interview where Yibing discusses the Victorian? And if he mentions it getting downgraded I'm assuming he meant it was originally an F skill. How else could it have gotten downgraded? Could be wrong though obviously.

Yes, at first Victorian is a F skill, then the International Gymnastics Federation made adjustment, and downgraded it to E. They revise the code of points every four years.

video is:

IP6ekWX29LU

at 3:36

Thank you for posting the vid! I don't speak Chinese unfortunately, so I'll have to take your word for it. :mrgreen: