Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Back lever pullups ?

George Navarro

I'm sorry I guess I'm not sure what a back lever pull-up is. Back lever curls, not that I can do them, are phenomenally difficult. The german hang muscle-up (or german hang ian) that I am working on is also really really difficult. Not nearly as hard as a back lever curl but it still requires a great deal of biceps strength, as well as shoulder and chest strength as far as I can tell. I am very close to achieving one without any assistance whatsoever and will definitely post a vid when I get it :mrgreen:

I'm sorry I guess I'm not sure what a back lever pull-up is. Back lever curls, not that I can do them, are phenomenally difficult. The german hang muscle-up (or german hang ian) that I am working on is also really really difficult. Not nearly as hard as a back lever curl but it still requires a great deal of biceps strength, as well as shoulder and chest strength as far as I can tell. I am very close to achieving one without any assistance whatsoever and will definitely post a vid when I get it :mrgreen:

Just think of it as a back lever curl that doesn't move from horizontal to vertical, but from straight to bent arm in back lever position or horizontal plane. There were some videos posted previously, the palms down version was done by Entcho and the palms up version was in the other video of another hand balancer or what Hannibal does. The palms down version is the first movement done in the full pelican starting from back lever.

Could you also do an inverted curl (the first movement of the inverted MU) and how much can you barbell curl or dumbbell curl?

Oh my bad I always thought THAT was called a back lever curl! So whenever I've posted about the BL curl I actually meant a BL pullup. I can do a muscle up to back lever and reverse the movement, so I guess I can do a BL pullup. (granted without much finesse or proper form yet, I just achieved the movement) and I can confidently say that i agree with slizzardman, the awkward behind the back pull up in the video looks hard but is mainly just painful on the shoulders, not particularly difficult. The actual BL pull up is worlds harder. There is simply no comparison.

As for what I can dumbbell or barbell curl, I have no idea. Im pretty much a pure calisthenics guy. The heaviest pair of dumbbells I have is 20 lbs and I haven't touched them in years! And as for the inverted curl, it's still a work in progress. I can do it with some assistance from my feet, last I checked anyways.

Is your MU to back lever and reverse movement done with a straight body (full lay) without piking? If you did it with straight body then you can do the full back lever curl (multiplanar). CONGRATS that's super hard. So which exercise is harder back lever curls or back lever pull-ups (the palms down one)?

It is full lay but with a ROM of like 80%. I can't lock out in BL and then return. Not yet anyway! If I understand the palms up one then palms down is wayyyyy harder.