Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

which core exercises will help keep body straight for planch

G00SE

what are the best ways to build up the lower back/core strength for the planche?

i've seen a lot of questions on the planche but most seem to ignore the fact the body has to be hollow and in order to be hollow you need exceptional core stability-otherwise you'll start to arch like many bboys do-they have great strength-junior especially-but on this site the general consensus seems to be the someone like jordan jovtchev's placnhes are much better due to the strict form he has-no arch at all :shock:

i really want to get the floor planche by the end of the year-hopefully a ring planche six months after that so i am going to focus on my core training to make it happen

i figure the following exercises are best-please give me any feedback

1 front/back lever work

2 body levers/dragon flags

3 reverse back extensions

4 heel drives

5 superman

i also think core flexibility, especially back flexibility is very important

John Sapinoso

i'd say the best way to work the core strength for a planche is by doing the planche with correct form.

specific training is the best-if you want to improve a certain technique practice it- but that only works if you already have the technique itself

i currently cannot do a full planche and can only hold a straddle planche for a second at most-my lower back gives out really quickly

thats why i asked on how to improve the strength needed for it because i currently dont posses it-i have the upper body strength but what seems to be holding me back is the lack of core flexibility and strength so i am asking anyone who can planche correctly what can i do to acquire the proper core strength and flexibility

Goose, you pretty much covered what I was going to propose.

For a nice handstand, you need to master a hollow body hold.

For a front lever, you need to have mastered a body lever/dragon flag.

A lot of arch and hollow body holds, and obviously the levers are what solidify the trunk during a planche and lever. Good to teach proper form as well.

Leg lifts, reverse leg lifts ( lift to superman starting with your hips and legs bent at 90 hanging down ),or back extensions. Glute-Ham/Hip extension is good stuff as well but most of these require a little more specific equipment than a leg lift or body lever.

thanks for the reply George- i used some of the exercises in today's workout- pretty tough but exactly what i was looking for-thanks again

• 1 month later...

For the straddle press to handstand I used two specific workouts that I believed help me with both the planche and straddle press to handstand, they were V-ups weighted/or non-weighted, and hyper extensions for the lower back.

For the straddle press to handstand I used two specific workouts that I believed help me with both the planche and straddle press to handstand, they were V-ups weighted/or non-weighted, and hyper extensions for the lower back.

Gregor,

Do you use hyper exensions on a daily basis?

Which 5 bodyweight excerises would you consider the most important for gymnastics?

Although I am not Gregor but when I tried under a coach we did not do hyper extensions, I just saw the connection with hip and lower back strength and tossed it into the mix when I got home. I'm sure he doesn't train these specifically, lots of gymnasts form their workouts around the events.

I Use hyper extension with upper body (torso) and lower body (legs)

1. lifting up and down

2. cicles with body (torso and legs variation) left and right

3. when you are in the midlle of the ROM you move extremely left and extremely right

other things:

1. viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1011

2. real planche

3. swings and swinging dips to planche on a p. bars (hard exercises)

4. germans

(stradle and legs together variations and also [b'>ts00nami's variation-> http://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=815&p=5785#p5785]http://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/vi' ... 5785#p5785 )

5. gilmores

With this exercises you can combine an prepair your training (not all of course).

Matthew Green

On a similar note to Dragon Flags, would anyone recommend using a yoga locust position (essentially a prone dragon flag) as a supplement to help planches and back levers?

Basicly what I saw on youtube what where you refering to is core exercise...This are basic gymnastics core exercises whic you need for basic body (core) preparation.

"Dragon flag" is good for abs and good for front lever

Matthew, what yoga calls locust we call superman or arch body hold. It's probably a decent exercise to complement body levers but relatively simple.

Doing superman hold ( reverse back hyper ) is probably a lot more intense off a pommel horse or table.