Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

and after rings free hspu?

Alessandro Mainente

Alessandro Mainente

the title tells everything....there is a next step after that?

David Picó García

For sure!!! mmm.... what about inverted cross to handstand and repeat for reps :mrgreen:

Patrick Van de Glind

Awesome alex87!!

Would you mind sharing with us how you got to that level?

What exercises etc for how long of a period of time to get there.

I'm training myself for a free HSPU in the Rings, but i'm still in the very early stages

where I can't even do a free handstand in the Rings yet.

Thanks!

Alessandro Mainente

the biggest part of work was handstand on rings..it took to me about 13-14 months to develop it and now i am about at 18-20 seconds of fre handstand on rings with locked elbows and now i'm trying to turn them out...in the last month i learned how to balance with straigth arms..

the problem in the beginning was the strength, i'm sure of it...

for the hspu i started doing them on the floor, after on the pbars, after on rings with feet around straps, after inside after free..

the thing wich helped me a lot was take the body always tigth and i develop this thing doing handstand with elevated shoulders where, if you have a perfect line, the only thing to stay up is stay tigth!!

bu the way now i usually try the free handstand and the handstand RTO on rings with feet inside for the duration and elbow conditioning..

i can do bowers on rings but i don't think is a great substitute, bowers is a multi plane movement, hpsu in only vertical plane..

i have some fear of try everything wich is concerned with cross..

i have all the prereq's (rings hs,straddle pl for 2 sec on rings) but since i had seen my friend in the gym break his biceps tendon...i have a terrible fear of cross movement, is a mental obstacle!

Alessandro Mainente

inverted muscle doesen't increase the difficult of the press movement....btw i'm planning to achieve it in 7-8 months...maybe less

Alessandro Mainente

i think are simpler or not? the bulgarian version are more wide but not with same ROM as hspu...

Michael Traynor

Hey Alex,

First off, congratulations on enjoying the pay off of your months and months of hard work!

Logically thinking through the progression, HSPU are bodyweight shoulder presses with large ROM. We start them assisted on a stable surface and progress to full body weight on rings, to my mind the only remaining step to increase the difficulty is to begin using a weighted vest.

Remember though that top level gymnasts still train HSPU for conditioning and strength and there is a time when the progressions end and you move on to something else, using conditioning to maintain your strength.

You may remember Coach's essay about the balance between maximal and dymnamic strength, that there comes a point when having too much maximal strength can affect dynamic strength which, as you know is very important in gymnastics.

99.9% of the time on this website we tell people not to train Iron Cross yet but it does seem, according to Coach's list of prerequisites, that you are at the point that you need to begin training (carefully) for the Iron Cross, if you want to progress beyong weighted free standing HSPU on the rings (to things like inverted cross) then training Iron Cross must be your next step?

Keep up the great work and train safe!

Alessandro Mainente

i consider the idea to buy a weigth vest when i'll have money..

i had broken in the past a tendon of my rigth leg and i know what you can feel when you get a broken tendon, and see one of my friend break it....oohhhh damn, i hate train with fear of something! i always think that the actual condition of bicep's tendon is not adequate...

strange sensation

• 4 weeks later...
John Sapinoso

you can do multi planar pushing exercises: bowers on rings (strangely though I find them no harder on rings than bars, just different).

also freestanding bulgarian hspu is a bit harder too

David Picó García

my first answer was joking, but really not. What don't you try to pass from bent arm work to straight arm from handstand to inverted cross