Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Handstand form question??

dacicsak

I have a problem with my core during my free handstand and HeSPUs. I have to understand whats going on really...

Tell me which is the correct variation and it is fine! i will do it, because i tried everything to correct my core during the handstands.

So which is the correct form?

1. Glute and abs are contracted like hell. No lower back flexion. Can't feel the handstand hold in my lower back.

2. Anterior pelvic tilt and abs are sucked in(vacuumed). Really hard to flex the glutes, but the lower back burn like hell.

3. Neutral? - I try to have a neutral core in handstand like when im standing, i dont know which muscle should work here more= abs or glute or lower back?

4. Just lower back and glutes flexion, but we know this isnt good, because you will arch like hell. So this is out of game...

My main misunderstanding here is that people say, you should feel the lower back, but abs are flexed(sometimes sucked in like vacuum) and make sure your glute is flexed...So whhhaaattt?? how can i feel the lower back during an anterior pelvic tilt...please help me to clear this! :evil:

Thanks for the help!

Daniel

Alessandro Mainente

you need hollow position with back flat, shoulder elevated near ears, squeeze butt, quads and abs, head position is prefereable between arms looking backward, or more in looking backward and upward...

you need hollow position with back flat, shoulder elevated near ears, squeeze butt, quads and abs, head position is prefereable between arms looking backward, or more in looking backward and upward...

i see hmm...could you tell me a number please, it would be easier for me since i dont know how the flat back looks like in handstand... :oops:

Thanks!

Aaron Griffin
since i dont know how the flat back looks like in handstand... :oops:

Then record yourself or get a mirror. Not even joking. You have to know what it FEELS like too

John Sapinoso

1. Glute and abs are contracted like hell. No lower back flexion. Can't feel the handstand hold in my lower back.

This is correct.

2. Anterior pelvic tilt and abs are sucked in(vacuumed). Really hard to flex the glutes, but the lower back burn like hell.

I call this Yogi syndrome.

3. Neutral? - I try to have a neutral core in handstand like when im standing, i dont know which muscle should work here more= abs or glute or lower back?

This is also correct...once you're proficient at #1 you can relax the tension a notch.

For now, don't bother with anything else but #1

Quick Start Test Smith

I've been doing a ton of hollow holds and arch up holds to develop my pre-reqs (2-5 minutes of total work each 4x/week) and also concentrating on maintaining a semi-hollow hold position while doing basically everything. Just bracing my trunk and keeping the arch to a minimum.

Two things I have recently noticed:

1) I can now do a hollow hold with my back flat on the floor. And I mean my upper back AND my lower back. I used to be only able to do flatten my lower back if I raised my upper back off. No more.

2) Since I haven't done HS training for at least 6-8 months (didn't like them and didn't think they were necessary), I expected myself to be quite weak in it; however, apparently because of all the tons and tons of shoulder prehab and mobility I've been doing in conjunction with tons of hollow hold and arch up hold, I was able to get into a WHS with great form. Tensed abs and glutes, flat back, shrugged shoulders, and quite good body line. First time in so long, too! Apparently getting the feel for the hollow hold and the arch up hold really helps.

Hahaha, that said. I recommend you increase your hollow hold practice :)

Joshua Naterman

Yes, if you don't have a straight body hollow hold you are probably going to have serious problems with wall handstand form!

I don't know how many different ways to say this... pretty much all pressing movements, regardless of what plane you are moving in, and most pulling movements as well, rely on a proper hollow hold as the base.

I have made football players do this in warm ups, have had personal clients work hollow holds, and continually recommend them to be a priority here as well, for the simple reason that they are the very foundation of strength, period.

Obviously you need arch holds as well, which is why they are THE two basic positions. The other two would be the side planks. These four positions set your body up for proper motion. Without strength, endurance and proper form in them, you are compromised and your gains will not be good.

Thank you very much! I have just got the proper form, i practised a lot! Now my HeSPU's much more stable and stronger. I didn't think it can be so simple...