Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

L-sit press to handstand

Volodzko

L-sits and straddle press handstands are no problem for me, but the transition between the two leaves me struggling with my hips at planche height or slightly lower. Should I work on controlled handstand lowers to l-sit or is there a more effective exercise? Thanks.

In a straddle press HS, your hips are already fairly high to start.

Work L-sit press to pike stand on parallettes or floor. This will require some hip flexor/pike compression to pull them through.

You can also work the negative from HS to L sit or pike stand, push up off ground, pull through L-sit.

L-sit to pike stand. Got it. As for L to pike on floor, I don't have the active flexibility to get my legs through so I've been doing compressions (sit on the floor, straight legs, pike, hands beside my calves or -- if I can -- my ankles, and lift my heels up for reps of 5-10) to deal with that. As for the bent-arm vs. straight-arm, I had straight-arm presses in mind but could working more bent-arm presses help with my straight-arm at all? I'm guessing no...

Coach Sommer

Bent Arm vs. Straight Arm

Working bent arm presses will have not have a significant carryover to your straight arm work; they are two very different animals and nothing else can truly build straight arm strength other than straight arm exercises. That being said however, bent arm press handstand work is also an essential part of a well balanced conditioning program.

Generally athletes will tend to prefer one or the other. The key is to require the correct integration of both.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Weakness in press handstands

I can hold a solid handstand for about a minute and the tugged planche for between 50 and 60s but im struggling to do more than 1 straddle press handstand consecutively. What could be some exercises, progressions to help me get rid of this weakness?

Razz, your problems with press handstand is common. It's the ability to engage the hip flexors.

First is straddle press Headstand. You should be able to get this in no time. This teaches the movement.

Next would be doing straddle press handstand with the hands lower than the feet. Press off of a panel mat.

You can also work straddle L to straddle stand with your hands on the panel mat as it will give you some more clearance. Another is the reverse of straddle stand to straddle L.

Work them with your back to a wall or your shoulders against the wall.

Coach, I know you say that bent-arm work doesnt carryover into straight-arm strength, but does the same rule apply for the opposite, or does straight-arm work have a significant impact on your bent-arm strength?

Is There a Significant Carryover from Straight Arm Strength?

Very good question. It will ultimately depend on the nature of the straight arm strength involved. Press Handstands (floor, parallel bars or rings) and free balancing handstands on the rings, will have a tremendous carryover.

In fact, press handstands and handstands are the two elements that I focus on most with developmental athletes. In my opinion, focusing on press handstands provides a greater overall athletic return than any other exercise; by a substantial margin.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

David Picó García

Oh! :( i still find press handstands impossible even with my shoulder on wall. Any easier progression :lol: ? (now i'm able to do a straddle press from stand not l-sit, but with bent, sometimes very bent arms :oops: and i have also no problem with HEADstand pike pressand and also can do shoulderstand from l-sit on rings with piked legs not straddle without problem, so i guess my problem is leg-hip flexibility and specially shoulder-arm in straight position strength)

Often press handstands with the shoulders on the wall can be made significantly easier by increasing the distance of your hands from the wall. Simply continuing increasing the distance until your feel the back of your shoulder girdle pressing firmly into the wall.

In addition, turning your hands sideways will relieve most of the stress on the wrists when you hands are so far from the wall.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

George Launchbury

Hi Coach (or anyone),

In the way that one would probably include the Front Lever progressions alongside the Planche progressions - If one is predominantly training handstands and press handstands, is there any exercise that should be included to balance things out nicely? Or is there something about the (press) handstand that means this not necessary.

Sorry if this has been answered before ...It's been a long week.

Best,

George.

I know Tyler Hass is one of his shoulder recuperation/preparation series has handstands as the active form of shoulder stabilization after competent shoulder flexibility has been trained in a dead hang with shoulders in the ears ( passive ).

So coach when you train your beginner athletes do you first have them acquire press handstands and strong freestanding handstands (on rings) before starting them on other static pushing holds like the planche, or do you train the two simontaneously?

John Sapinoso

Try this static hold to help develop the press handstand.

Hold the open shoulder angle piked hips position (the top of a press before the legs come around) and work it as you would any other static position.

If you work this position on rings with rings turned out arms off the straps it helps develop a straight arm turned out off strap press on rings, which looks very impressive compared to the norm.

( i "borrowed "this exercise from a developmental future stars routine)

[=

Once you develop strength in this position it's just a matter of getting your legs around the top which is much easier by comparison.

XR Lock Arm Half Press Statics

ts00nami is absolutely correctly; the half press on the rings statically held with locked arms for sets of 5-10 seconds is an amazingly effective movement and will build lock arm support strength on the rings faster than any other exercise I have ever tried.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

We call these spider HS hold, it's one of the things we test our girls for on levels testing. Never worked it much with the boys unfortunately.

John Sapinoso

@griffdrc

imagine the first picture without the wall and with feet together, hold that position.

thanks... i'll have to add that in... i've just started doing ring free handstands and can hold about 3-5 seconds... pretty shakey still... this looks like it will help... thanks

so to do with rings turned out you would turn your hands palms facing forward?

Cool, standing pike press to HS was the best I could ever do. Basically planche it out, lift and adjust to HS.