Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A question about dips/pushups

Erin  Roepke

Erin  Roepke

I've just started trying to do the full ROM dips and I noticed that at the botton portion of the dip my shoulder blades pinch together. I was just wondering if this is supposed to happen, or if it's something I should try to correct. Also, I've noticed that when I do pushups with my elbows tucked in, my elbow pops. It doesn't really hurt, it just feels like maybe something is sliding over my elbow point. It's the kind of feeling that doesn't actually hurt but it makes you flinch like when you hit your funny bone. It's annoying. I was wondering if anyone has the same issues? Also, are you supposed to tuck your elbows in on dips too? Thanks!

Vincent Stoyas

Dips can be done with either elbows out or elbows in, they work differently so I wouldn't say it's one or the other. Elbows out variation is called bulagarian dips, just started doing them recently and they work the chest very hard.

You might just keep the reps low and follow what happens with your elbow. If there is no pain later in the week you should be ok. The scapula will come together that's normal. Keep the elbows in at first as you get stronger and the shoulder girdle has has time to adapt you can go wider. Check Bulgarian dips in the book for how to do this, it's not just turning the elbows out.

My elbows will pop sometimes in pushups during my WU, so long as it doesn't hurt (as it doesn't for me) ; I don't sweat it. It probably has to do with something involved about my shoulders and their wonkiness. So it's just self adjusting and releasing some of the pressure.

Somedays my left elbow sounds like popcorn. After a while you just get to know your body, what is ok and what's not.