Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

rings handstand and unstable surface

Alessandro Mainente

Alessandro Mainente

hi to everyone...my rings handstand seems to be progress better, BUT searching on the web i found this video of ido where he said that trt handatsnd on unstable surface doesen't make better the handstand on stable surface..i was surprised of this because is about 3 months that i don't do hs on floor, i've tried it yesterday and i hit 1 minute and half at the first try...

yriauPPejkE

so what do you think about it?

John Sapinoso

it doesn't improve your actual sense of balance but rings does improve your strength which can allow you to express your sense of balance.

It's a totally different technique on rings and floor.

Alessandro Mainente
it doesn't improve your actual sense of balance but rings does improve your strength which can allow you to express your sense of balance.

It's a totally different technique on rings and floor.

sure, this was the answer i need...move the centre of mass and move the support is not the same..

i was only curious to know how the rings handstand returns benefit for floor hs

Aaron Griffin

I think the difference is that when the surface is unstable, you need use yout shoulders to balance, whereas on the floor, you use your hands to balance

Niels Joergensen

ring hs and floor hs are too different skills in my oppinon as mentioned above^^. having a good flor hs doesn't mean you have a good ring hs and vice versa. like Ido says: moving CoM on stable surfaces vs. moving unstable surfaces over CoM are too different things. at least I haven't experienced a carryover from ring hs to floor hs. to me the carryover from ring hs to floor hs is not very big it's simply a matter of floor hs mastery before doing ring hs.

Recently I have been playing around with my HS on a half stability ball. It's not a BOSU but close to it. I cannot remember the brand name but it's wider and flatter than a regular BOSU and has handholds on the top. Anyway, while I'm not advanced enough to understand the mechanics I do know that playing on the unstable surface has increased my body tension awareness. I think that creating that awareness has really helped me in my regular HS work. I agree that the unstable work has not helped with my regular HS form but having better body tension awareness in the HS has helped me expand my straddle HS and bent knee HS movements.

Mikael Kristiansen

Even though they are different, there is a carryover. I could sort of balance on rings on my first try because my handbalancing is strong. The ring hs was far from perfect then, but because I have good body awareness upside down it wasnt too difficult to learn. Balance board I could do for a long time on first try as well. It is not too difficult at all actually if one does have a good handstand, only thing is that it can be a bit scary to jump up at first.

As for carryover, the more strength and awareness you build in the position, the easier it will be for you to change from one to another. Im not surprised you increased your time after working on rings. However, like mentioned here, the balance is different and does not neccesarily carry over. Rings is also different due to the bicep pressure.

Alessandro Mainente

and on the handstand position you have to maintain the hollow body shape?

i noticed that a gymnast to my gym usually use this for to be more stable, he tells to me "think aas you have to touch the pelvis with the chin, but not doing crunch"....

is the rigth way?