Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Beginning handbalancing, blocks?

tyciol

I am working on the wall handstand but I had an idea for something and I'm wondering what people think.

I know people do thinks like paralettes or parallel bars or rings, which would be ideal as a precursor for handstands on those types of things. Since we aren't inverted, our weight hangs low and we can balance easier.

But there doesn't seem to be as many options for training a flat-palmed handstand. There is if you do it with your hands on chair seats, but while higher than the ground you still need to bend your legs to do them.

I was thinking of making 2 platforms which are higher than chairs for cheap using concrete blocks. I can find for $2 a foot high with 8x16 inch flat top/bottom surface (it is hollow, holds facing sideways I'm talking about) which weighs 40lbs.

So I'm thinking if I get 8 of these, I could have 4ft columns with plenty of surface to balance my palms on.

Do you guys think something like this would be sturdy? I was thinking I could possibly double the number of blocks and criss cross them like jenga so that they would be square shaped, but other than that I'm not sure how to do it.

250px-Concreteblocks.jpg

People have suggested to use saw horses, but they're actually a lot more expensive. They'd be easier to move around so ideal for indoors but for outdoors I'm wondering if maybe concrete would last longer considering rain/snow.

Also since concrete can get cold I could do this wearing gloves or put a pad on top of it.

8x16 should be enough for most hands right? I'm just worried that 4 of these blocks might be a bit much. I guess 3 blocks high would still be a lot better than a pair of chairs.

Joshua Naterman

You only need 2 if you are looking for full ROM HSPU. One for each hand. That's what I use in my basement!

Aaron Griffin
You only need 2 if you are looking for full ROM HSPU. One for each hand. That's what I use in my basement!

You can get full ROM with a single cinder block? I feel like I'd still have an inch or so

Joshua Naterman

It's close enough. You can always put a piece or two of 2x6 wood underneath if you want more lift. 2 cinder blocks stacked is too unstable. Having four for each hand is fine if they are turned 90 degrees on the top layer compared to how the bottom is facing, but that takes up a bit of space. Still, that works too.