Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Is this move possible?

Brian Li

Is it possible for someone to do a pull up then tricep extend from the bent arm hang or top of pull up to a support sort of like a muscle up, but without a transition and dip. The tricep extension replaces the transition and dip. I've heard that a no lean muscle up is essentially a full bodyweight triceps press, but don't they still need to do a transition for it which makes the press more like a dip which involves the front delts instead of a true triceps press?

There are a few skills in the code like bent arm pullup to back lever, where you extend the lower arm to straight and end up in a back lever. It has the same value as a cross. In theory you could do it to cross and press to support. Sounds quite difficult.

Coach Sommer once noted that he tried to do a bulgarian dip to straight arm many years ago and that it was hard on the elbows. What you are talking about sounds pretty hard on the elbows.

A fun, stupid trick is what I call a One Arm Cross. Start in a flex armed hang and push one arm to straight while the other stays bent. Not really that difficult but it's fun to go back and forth and tell the kids I can do a One-Arm Cross.

Those are some pretty advanced skills on the rings. The move I'm talking about is when your at the top of the pull-up position (flexed arm hang) and you use only your lower arms to press/extend all the way to a straight arm support on the top of the bar or rings. It would not involve the front delts and probably 100% triceps strength. I'm not sure if it's possible since I've never seen anyone do it, maybe it is not possible to press with only triceps in that position.

Ahh, I was thinking from a neutral grip, not pronated.

I don't seeing it as being possible. Even if you focus on just the forearm moving, the bicep and shoulder are bearing load.

I think he just means a no lean muscle up with absolutely no shoulder lean. If that is what you mean then it is indeed possible here is a video: 2q8KMnWUsvg

I think he just means a no lean muscle up with absolutely no shoulder lean. If that is what you mean then it is indeed possible here is a video: 2q8KMnWUsvg

That's not what I meant, but it is sort of close. What I meant was basically a muscle-up without a transition and dip. It would be two movements combined: a pull-up followed by a full triceps extension and the ending position would be a straight arm support. What Andreas Aguilar did was a wide no lean muscle-up which clearly includes a transition and dip. Once you press down from a transition it would always be a dip rather than a pure triceps extension due to front delt involvement even if you did not transition all the way to the bottom of a normal dip. So to do this imaginary exercise, your upper arms have to be static and right by the sides of your torso while your forearms extend at the top of the pull-up. I think I agree with Blairbob that this imaginary move might be impossible. I thought it would be possible if you can do full bodyweight or more triceps extensions, but there may be other factors preventing this move from being doable.

That's not what I meant, but it is sort of close. What I meant was basically a muscle-up without a transition and dip. It would be two movements combined: a pull-up followed by a full triceps extension and the ending position would be a straight arm support. What Andreas Aguilar did was a wide no lean muscle-up which clearly includes a transition and dip. Once you press down from a transition it would always be a dip rather than a pure triceps extension due to front delt involvement even if you did not transition all the way to the bottom of a normal dip. So to do this imaginary exercise, your upper arms have to be static and right by the sides of your torso while your forearms extend at the top of the pull-up. I think I agree with Blairbob that this imaginary move might be impossible. I thought it would be possible if you can do full bodyweight or more triceps extensions, but there may be other factors preventing this move from being doable.

I think I understand what you mean. That would indeed be cool. While I don't think it's impossible it sounds like it would require a ton of very dedicated training.

The more I think about it, the more it seems to be possible. It is the exact opposite of the reverse muscle-up. In the reverse/inverted muscle-up, you full bodyweight bicep curl your arms to a shoulder stand instead of doing an inverted pull-up and there is no transition in the inverted muscle-up. So if the inverted muscle-up can be done then this too should be possible and plus the triceps are supposed to be stronger than the elbow flexors.

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...
Saul Harris

Yes this move is possible. You can do a muscle up while maintaining your shoulders behind the rings/bar the entire time. It requires you to either lean back (harder on the rear delts) as seen in first video or pike your hips as seen in the second and third videos (harder on abs) or both to balance.

Furthermore it is possible to do this sort of muscle up with out the elbows ever traveling behind the body. This shoulder movement is what creates a "transition" where you change from pull-up to dip.

I think the advice of Sommer to do muscle ups with as little forward lean as possible tends to develop this aesthetically pleasing triceps intense MU style. At least it did for me.

• 2 weeks later...
Youthser Guerrero

Here's Aguilar's MU from another angle:

L-mOucXS8xY

You can literally hear someone having an orgasm just from watching that.

Yes this move is possible. You can do a muscle up while maintaining your shoulders behind the rings/bar the entire time. It requires you to either lean back (harder on the rear delts) as seen in first video or pike your hips as seen in the second and third videos (harder on abs) or both to balance.

Furthermore it is possible to do this sort of muscle up with out the elbows ever traveling behind the body. This shoulder movement is what creates a "transition" where you change from pull-up to dip.

I think the advice of Sommer to do muscle ups with as little forward lean as possible tends to develop this aesthetically pleasing triceps intense MU style. At least it did for me.

Which is the first video you are referring to? Is it the one in the "Ultimate BW Triceps Exercises" thread? The two other videos you are referring to are the two videos of Aguilar's MU in this thread right? 

I don't think just piking alone would fully counterbalance yourself in this move. I believe it needs some leaning back of the body to fully counterbalance.  There's also no dip or MU transition in this move if done correctly.

Congratulations on that achievement man! Would you mind posting a video of it so I can see how it really looks like and if we are talking about the same thing? I think it would be a first on the internet as I have never seen this move done anywhere before and would be proof that this is possible. That must be some sick triceps strength you got there, can you pure triceps press your body weight?

I recall hannibal for king performing that.

I don't. Can you show me a video? I've seen him doing it with a bit of leaning.

Parkerson Seward

So would your arms be straight the whole time? As if you pretty much went from a dead hang and did a 180 degree pull to end up in the top position, while having your arms extended/ locked out the whole time?

Like an impossible, but while rotating? If that is what you're saying I don't think it will ever be done

No, the arms aren't straight the whole time.  It's basically a pull-up followed by a BW triceps extension to support.

Guest SuperBru

Sorry I cannot remember the url for the video to confirm. I will try to find it at a later stage.

Daniel Sarnowski

Yes, its very possible, I see guys do it at the park all the time. Just today this guy was doing it in an L hang. You can probably see it if you look at the BARSTARS on youtube, or any street workout video. 

I don't think we are talking about the same thing if you say it's really that common. I have seen many street workout videos and have never seen the move I was talking about. Can you please link a video of one that shows what you thought I was talking about?

I think I have seen that Hannibal video. He still leans forward in the transition. Some people's standard of what "no lean" (or good form is) are different I guess.