Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Building strength and flexibility (question about breakfast)

Erin  Roepke

This might be in the wrong section, but it's more of a general question anyway. I don't know the differences between active and passive flexibility. I'm a martial artist and I can kick to people's heads but I can't touch my toes or do anything else like that, so I want to improve. I was flipping through this book on flexibility training and it said to do dynamic stretches when you wake up, before breakfast (because eating will decrease blood flow in your limbs or something, I didn't really retain it). The basic gist of it was that doing dynamic stretchng first thing in the morning, combined with more strenuous stretches after working out, are better for building up flexibility. I'm not any expert on things like this, but it sounded pretty reasonable to me. Usually, though, on days when I work out, I wake up, eat a power bar, wait about 20-30 minutes, and then warm up and do strength stuff and then stretch.

My question is this: Is it vital to eat before you work out? Could I do a dynamic warmup, work out, stretch, and then eat breakfast? Or maybe do a dymanic warmup, eat something quick (like a power bar) work out, then stretch? Will working out in the morning prior to eating anyhing be counter-productive? Or does it even matter?

Thanks for the help, plus sorry the post is kind of lengthy. :)

Aaron Griffin

No, it's a fine resource. Some of his claims are a bit odd, like this one you mention. I can't see how much of an impact eating breakfast has, though - it's probably statistically insignificant if there is anything too it. It's likely more important just to do the dynamic stretching and not try to overthink it

You can train while fasted, it's not a real big deal but it is different. For stuff like stretching or yoga or maybe just kata work or chinese internal forms, it's fine (unless you have to deal with hunger pangs but eventually you get over those). My light workout today of basic gymnastics stuff was fine while fasted.

One of the factors of training while fasted is you only have so much energy to burn. I wouldn't recommend it for something very active like sparring or judo randori or BJJ mat work or wrestling practice (then again since throwing up in wrestling practices is somewhat common, I would adjust that accordingly). It pretty much sucks for gymnastics event work days.

I can strength train the slow lifts a lot better when fasted compared to the Olympic Lifts.