Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Long tendons vs short tendons

Yaad Mohammad

Yaad Mohammad

Hey guys,

I've always had unusually long biceps tendons. I was also as a child better at strength moves then anybody else. I achieved a 9 sec tuck planche with no training at all. I was able to continue training the planche for more than 10 hours a week. Was it because of my long tendons?

And what is better, long tendons or short tendons? I have no idea at the moment.

Since it is something that you cannot really affect, I don't think it matters much.

Longer tendons can store more energy in plyometrics.

Yaad Mohammad
Right, usually people with longer achilles tendon tend to have higher vertical leaps.

I've noticed this, too. I have very thin legs and my friend has very big muscular legs from footballing a lot, but I jumped way higher. I've never trained my legs, but I guess it's in my genes.

• 2 weeks later...
Jonas Säll

From what i have learnd in my biomechanics class att school, one cm longer biceps tendon further out on the forearm can make up to 50 % better leverage in a one-arm pullup. This is a very sad fact for us who dont have those beneficial tendon attatchments. I dont actually know if this is true but it is what the teacher said to me on the subject of one-arm pullup strenght.

Yaad Mohammad
From what i have learnd in my biomechanics class att school, one cm longer biceps tendon further out on the forearm can make up to 50 % better leverage in a one-arm pullup. This is a very sad fact for us who dont have those beneficial tendon attatchments. I dont actually know if this is true but it is what the teacher said to me on the subject of one-arm pullup strenght.

Well, I've noticed that the one-arm pullup isn't incredibly hard to reach. I think, that if I'd focus on pull-ups, I'd get it in two months. I can already do a 75% ROM one-arm pullup, after doing 10 muscle-ups every week.

Jonas Säll

Good for you man! I have also found that the levers and muscleups transfer well to the one-arm pullup, i can now do the bottom 50% of thr ROM (up to 90 degres). What do you weigh if i may ask? I weigh 82 kilos at the moment. The reason i am very intrested in the one-arm is that i am a climber and the one-arm has alwars been THE powermove. I could do it when i was 25 and weighted 75 kilos and hope i can relearn it at 42 and 82. I have also found over the years that some people can do the one-arm with absolutely no training at all and that some peaple have to train like ARMageddon is coming tomorrow, witch i personally find a little bit saddening, hence the explanation about the tendons. I also know about the whole " enjoy the journey" thing, and believe me, i enjoy the process. But im also quite honest with my feelings to both my self and others.

Keep on training! Jonas.

Andrew Komarnyckyj

How do you tell if your tendons are long or short?

Yaad Mohammad
Good for you man! I have also found that the levers and muscleups transfer well to the one-arm pullup, i can now do the bottom 50% of thr ROM (up to 90 degres). What do you weigh if i may ask? I weigh 82 kilos at the moment. The reason i am very intrested in the one-arm is that i am a climber and the one-arm has alwars been THE powermove. I could do it when i was 25 and weighted 75 kilos and hope i can relearn it at 42 and 82. I have also found over the years that some people can do the one-arm with absolutely no training at all and that some peaple have to train like ARMageddon is coming tomorrow, witch i personally find a little bit saddening, hence the explanation about the tendons. I also know about the whole " enjoy the journey" thing, and believe me, i enjoy the process. But im also quite honest with my feelings to both my self and others.

Keep on training! Jonas.

I weight around 52 kilos and I know it sucks that for some it's harder and for some it's easier. I've having the same problem with other things in gymnastics. I suck at tumbling, yet I love it.

How do you tell if your tendons are long or short?

Compare them to my tendons:

scaled.php?server=11&filename=img0152of.jpg&res=medium

scaled.php?server=685&filename=img0151ni.jpg&res=medium

Haha, my biceps really look weird in those pictures :P

Andrew Komarnyckyj

Mien Gott!!!

Those are long tendons!

Mine must be very short then.

Yaad Mohammad
lol what :D

Those don't look like long biceps tendons at all, imo. I don't get it.. :?

Look at my arm, look how short my biceps are. That's because my tendons are long.

lol what :D

Those don't look like long biceps tendons at all, imo. I don't get it.. :?

Look at my arm, look how short my biceps are. That's because my tendons are long.

I have similiar tendons, a bit shorter than yours. I hate it because when you wear a t-shirt it looks like your biceps is as small as your forearm :D

Joshua Naterman

Those are pretty short biceps! The real factor will be forearm length and where exactly on the forearm the biceps attaches in terms of relative to the overall length of the forearm as well as distance from the elbow joint. The length of the tendon is not relevant in terms of strength, only where it attaches on your forearm bones.

Now, that length thing should be a huge, huge advantage in throwing sports, especially if your triceps are similarly built and have a more distal insertion.

Joshua Naterman
length of tendons is genetic, however stretching can help too. Small and high calf can help too.

Stretching only works before puberty. After puberty the muscle will be the only part that lengthens. In children, stretching can and does permanently lengthen tendons as well as ligaments. In adults, ligament lengthening happens extremely slowly and possibly never to the extent that it happens in children (partially because their joints also change shape, which can't happen in adults).

• 9 months later...
Yaad Mohammad

Alright, decided to bump this old thread to discuss this matter even further. I was wondering what the advantages of short tendons are? More endurance?

Joshua Naterman

HAHAHA!

Probably nothing spectacular in terms of endurance, but everything scales. If you have an advantage in force production, but identical aerobic capacity, it means you are doing less relative work to achieve the same result as someone else, of the same size and weight, that happens to have less of an advantage. This means that, at any given absolute external torque, you require less internal torque. That means you are working at a lower % of your maximum, which means you will have better endurance in that zone since you have the same oxygen capacity but require less oxygen to do the same amount of work.

That's the most specific answer I can give you.

There are a lot of factors there, and this is just one. Your oxygen-carrying capacity is really key, as is your ability to move the oxygen to your muscles from the blood, and those have nothing to do with your tendons.

Yaad Mohammad
HAHAHA!

Probably nothing spectacular in terms of endurance, but everything scales. If you have an advantage in force production, but identical aerobic capacity, it means you are doing less relative work to achieve the same result as someone else, of the same size and weight, that happens to have less of an advantage. This means that, at any given absolute external torque, you require less internal torque. That means you are working at a lower % of your maximum, which means you will have better endurance in that zone since you have the same oxygen capacity but require less oxygen to do the same amount of work.

That's the most specific answer I can give you.

There are a lot of factors there, and this is just one. Your oxygen-carrying capacity is really key, as is your ability to move the oxygen to your muscles from the blood, and those have nothing to do with your tendons.

So basically, the length of your tendons do not contribute in anyway?