Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Gymnastics for Tall Athletes.

iwanttolearn

Hey guys I am a mega noob when it comes to gymnastics and I am wondering if tall people can do gymnastics exercises? I am around 6"2 - 6"3 and around 150-160 pounds ( I know, I'm a skinny kid). 16 years old. I really want to get into gymnastics exercises and am wondering if I will struggle a lot.

I don't know if this is necessary but I can do about 15 pull ups and 50 push ups and 30 dips and can hold a handstand on a wall for a pretty good while. Thanks in advance!

John Sapinoso

yes, you will struggle a lot. but not because you're "tall" but because gymnastics is hard

Hey guys I am a mega noob when it comes to gymnastics and I am wondering if tall people can do gymnastics exercises? I am around 6"2 - 6"3 and around 150-160 pounds ( I know, I'm a skinny kid). 16 years old. I really want to get into gymnastics exercises and am wondering if I will struggle a lot.

Well i know tall people can do this because i am 6'6" 220 and i am doing pretty well in the program for being a noob myself. One of the mediators is 6'2" and is setting the examples to follow. Being tall will create its own challenges, but as for you struggling a lot, no more then we all do. Just make sure to take your time and listen to what Coach says in the book and all over this forum and you can’t help but to get better! i look forward to hearing more about how you are developing, i always love to hear another tall guy doing well, it’s good motivation.

6' 6", 190lbs here. I could tell you that height is going to make it difficult, but ts00nami is completely right in saying it won't be hard because you're tall, it'll be hard because it's hard.

Totally worth the effort, though. :D Glad to have you with us!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm 6'1" myself too and it never crossed my mind that my height could get in my way in levers or anything.

Train hard. Train smart.

Think about it like this: if you are taller, and it is a bit harder to do for you, then you will be a bit stronger when you get it.

Joshua Naterman

Height won't keep you from succeeding, lack of consistency and poor nutrition will. Just stay consistent and get the nutrition you need and you will experience great, great results!

Great to see couple of big guys here. For taller guy, it's a physic thing. We need to deploy greater force / strength to maintain a longer lever position. But I agree that with consistency there is no reason we can't accomplish great thing in gymnastic.

I'm 6'6" standing at 250 pounds, 13-14% bodyfat. In FL and BL I definitly feel it REALLY hard :lol:

Sorry, but this is total BS! The statement that the taller you're, the harder it is is a huge misconception! Limb length is proportional to the rest of the body for every person(with some rare exceptions which are considered as disfunctions). Again, the center of mass lies in the same exact spot for every individual, especially when talking about body levers! Yes, there could be some difficulties in some positions, but your limbs are not 15 cm shorter/longer than normal and totally unproportional to your height, right? This is more of a mental limitation than any other. On the other hand, longer bones are able to generate more power, but there are also other factors here that need to be considered like muscle attachments etc.. Stop making stupid excuses and instead, focus all this energy on your goals.

Martin de Jesus Ponce Robaldino
Sorry, but this is total BS! The statement that the taller you're, the harder it is is a huge misconception! Limb length is proportional to the rest of the body for every person(with some rare exceptions which are considered as disfunctions). Again, the center of mass lies in the same exact spot for every individual, especially when talking about body levers! Yes, there could be some difficulties in some positions, but your limbs are not 15 cm shorter/longer than normal and totally unproportional to your height, right? This is more of a mental limitation than any other. On the other hand, longer bones are able to generate more power, but there are also other factors here that need to be considered like muscle attachments etc.. Stop making stupid excuses and instead, focus all this energy on your goals.

well, what can i say....

yes, the limb length is proportional, but, what happens when someone very tall, and with a very low strength level, tries to do something like an l-sit on the floor, or something like a back lever, in which the length of the legs make a lot of torque/leverage??

in that moment you can't say that the proportion of the parts of the body make any sense ....

sorry for my english, i hope i could transmit the essense of the message for you...

i'm 6' and it has been a process slower, but never impossble =)

Greetings From Mexico

yes, the limb length is proportional, but, what happens when someone very tall, and with a very low strength level, tries to do something like an l-sit on the floor, or something like a back lever, in which the length of the legs make a lot of torque/leverage??

in that moment you can't say that the proportion of the parts of the body make any sense ....

It is the exact same case. Longer limbs naturally provide greater lean which totally compensate for the body length and balance the center of mass. If that wasn't true, you couldnt have even get into the position, nor could you hold it. Being tall with extremely unproportional short arms is a different case.

Look at how many tall guys, who aren't skinny toothpicks can do Front lever. Back Lever is still very doable for tall guys, FL is a pain as is PL. Cross tends to be easier than PL/FL.

FREDERIC DUPONT

Interesting debate...

I understand the argument of body proportions, levers, tendon attachments, etc...

Yet, (correct me if I am wrong) we don't see tall guys at elite gymnastics levels...

- Some movements are disadvantaged like the L-Sit that was mentioned, or the flag pole...

- A heavier weight is also a cause for much larger stress on joints; I read on the forum that some rebounding exercises exerted up to 14x BW... In such a case, each additional 10 Kg means an extra 140Kg on the ankles, or wrists...

- Balance might also be easier to compromise with a higher center of mass.

- Excess momentum for rotational exercises: centrifugal forces that strain an exercise more, or that slow it down.

That does not mean it should be used as an excuse for mediocrity, but it certainly has an influence. :)

Disclaimer: I am 6'3" & 108Kg (235 pounds?)

Mikko Myllymäki

I'm 6'4" and about 210 pounds. I've definitely had a lot of problems progressing in the levers (BL, FL and PL). L-sit is the only one that I can do pretty good. I have long back and hands as compared to my legs, which probably makes the levers more difficult. In my case, however, I think the bigger problem is that my thighs and ass are very big as compared to my upper body and they weigh me down in all the levers. But in the end it makes no difference, you either continue pushing forward or don't.