Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Reverse pike to support

Larry Roseman

Larry Roseman

An example is on the main blog, "Lord of the Rings" video - Yuri Checci @ 4:37.

He drops into it from a candlestick. There seems to be a bit of a bounce and

possibly a lift from the hips that may help with the muscle up.

Is this possible for a relative beginner to perform who can't do a full muscle up?

I can perform a set of 10 dips/pulls ups comfortably as well as the hang and pike, though haven't

tried the quick bounce out of pike yet.

Link the blog or video because it's not coming up with google and I think we want to start guessing with search variables.

You are talking about a kip. It's a swing skill and shouldn't use much strength when done properly. As far as using it as a progression for muscle-up I would say no. Doing kips will get you better at kips, but won't have much transfer to a proper slow and controlled muscle-up. That is why many people never get a good muscle-up. Once they can swing or kip into it that's all they ever do, and they don't develop the correct muscles.

Dillon

Larry Roseman
Link the blog or video because it's not coming up with google and I think we want to start guessing with search variables.

Sorry, it's on Coach's blog main page, the last video.

Also

Regarding kipping, it's not a kip as I know that; it is from an upside-down hanging reversed pike position.

Maybe an inverse kip?!

Well, a ring kip is from a basket position or inverted pike. I figured it was what was being talked about but it could have been a back kip for all I knew.

Is this possible for a relative beginner to perform who can't do a full muscle up?

Probably not likely. Ring kip is typically harder than a MU, especially as a straight arm ring kip is worth the same as an Iron Cross. Bent arm pushing strength is neccessary even for a bent arm kip from basket.

Larry Roseman
Well, a ring kip is from a basket position or inverted pike. I figured it was what was being talked about but it could have been a back kip for all I knew.

Probably not likely. Ring kip is typically harder than a MU, especially as a straight arm ring kip is worth the same as an Iron Cross. Bent arm pushing strength is neccessary even for a bent arm kip from basket.

Thanks for that info and for the terminology lesson! Didn't expect it to be iron-cross hard :? Wow.

I thought the legs coming down and then bouncing forward might have a rebound effect of sorts, help the upper body lift.

Maybe not. No harm in trying it anyway, I guess :)

I thought the legs coming down and then bouncing forward might have a rebound effect of sorts, help the upper body lift.

Well, it does, but it still takes a lot of upper body strength to do with lock arms.

There is a guy on this forum that has a video of him working on it. Alex87 out of Italy.

Larry Roseman

Well, it does, but it still takes a lot of upper body strength to do with lock arms.

There is a guy on this forum that has a video of him working on it. Alex87 out of Italy.

Thanks, found that. Would you say the shoulder strength transitioning is in the back of the shoulder (rear delts, etc) mainly?

With muscle up it's more in the front, it seems to me. It seems a more explosive movement than

a muscle up as well.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7980&p=71301&hilit=+ring+kip#p71301