Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Elbow hyperextension

Mikael Kristiansen

Mikael Kristiansen

Basically what I wonder is if the mobility of the elbow is determined genetically, as long as it has not been changed by an injury. From what I understand, the ROM is based upon the structure of the bones in the joint, if the biceps is not very inflexible. More information about this would be appreciated.

Joshua Naterman

That's true, but stress on the joints through bone maturation can and will change the shape of the elbow. The genetically pre-determined elasticity of the ligaments and tendons of each person will alter these forces and that will in turn alter how the elbow develops. Some people naturally have elbow recurvatum (English medical term for elbow hyperextension) prior to any training of any kind, so sometimes it is literally just how people are built.

Some people have 7 heads on the biceps, go figure!

Gott natt!

Mikael Kristiansen

Thats more or less what i thought. This is also probably then connected to why its not the best idea to have too young kids work crosses, etc.

The reason i asked is because i had a discussion with a dancer(old and respected, but with no knowledge about gymnastics or handstands) who meant that i must be doing something wrong since my elbow hyperextended in my 1 arms. I told her that my elbows had always been like that, and that to be efficient while balancing you would try to lock your joints. She did not buy it, and kept on telling me of the injuries related to knee hyperextension in dance. Arguing that knees and elbows are two different things, noting specific prehab work and gymnastics long tradition of extreme leverage straight arm work, did not make a difference.

Many handbalancers i know have some degree of hyperextension, and acording to my coach it is a good thing for handbalancing. I also almost never hear of elbow injuries since there is almost no leverage work. Wrists and shoulders that get the punishment usually.

With elbow hyperextension, you can actually rotate your elbows more forward.

With dance, they often use excessive turnout in their dance positions that puts pressure on the knees. Sometimes they will also stretch the knee joints into hyperextension for a better aesthetic line in the leg.

• 2 years later...
Francesco Pudda
I also almost never hear of elbow injuries since there is almost no leverage work. Wrists and shoulders that get the punishment usually.

Well, that's not completely true. I have  some degrees of hyperextension in both arms, and I had hard times for RTO hold position. It got me about one year to completely turning them out to 90 degrees and not feel streess on the inner elbows. Now that I'm spreading them apart (I can hold it for about 20s) I feel again pressure on them (especially after the 15th second). I never injures my self but I'm a lot worried anyway