Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Weighted chinups

irongymnast

How fast does strength in weighted chinups/pullups build up?

After how many days should I increase the weight?

Also from your own experience, what was the optimal programming for them? I'm currently doing 3 days a week, 3x5 sets and I have 20kg on my belt.

I saw someone recently using 531 calculating the external load+bodyweight. That sounds pretty novel. I tried doing it just with the external load and it didn't work very well for me. Either I was overextending myself (working out more than I recover) or it just didn't work. Not sure.

My weighted pullup and dips were around 80lbs at the time which was slightly less than 1/2 BW. Can't remember the exact weight.

How much you feel you can increase is usually based on how your training is going and how you good you feel your recovery is. Roughly a week is suggested quite often to people for increasing reps/sets/weight, not all of them at the same time obviously but take your pick. Week to week you should feel some improvement and room to grow and increase the weight, that's about the time I take at least, seems to work well.

Joshua Naterman

it's kind of crazy to expect some kind of set increase, but here is a ballpark figure:

In the first few months of training, it is not uncommon to increase the total 1RM resistance you can handle by 15-20% or so.

If I started out being able to do 1 pull up with a bodyweight of 200 lbs, it wouldn't be unreasonable for my max to be 1 rep with 30-40 lbs after 3 months of proper training.

After 6 months of proper training, you're probably going to see gains at a rate of about 3% per month. 2-5% is the general range for "intermediate" level strength trainers, and it goes down as you get stronger, bigger and (most importantly) start reaching the limitations of your body at the particular intake of protein you have, and eventually your body's anabolic maximum (which is quite large) which will be when the amount of protein you can absorb from the gut will be equal to or slightly less than your lean mass's anabolic maximum uptake. That takes years and years and years of training, and varies widely from person to person but in all cases the potential in each person would land just about every single person on the planet in the top 5 at a natural bodybuilding show, in terms of size and definition if trained correctly.

Anyhow, there will come a point where the increases will be very small from month to month.

This is all heavily dependent on good structural balance and using only perfect form.

There are many ways to do this: You can microload each week, maybe .5 to 2 lb per week, going up in .5 to 1 lb increments per workout and do that every week, only adding weight when you have perfect form with the extra .5 lbs and dropping it immediately if you do not have perfect form.

The other, easier way is to keep the same weight for a month or so and just add a rep or a few reps to one or more sets as it feels ok, always only adding 1 rep per set per workout. You can just add 1 rep per workout, it doesn't matter. As you continue using the same resistance with more reps you will get stronger, and at the end of the month an extra few lbs won't feel any different. You'll have to drop some reps, you want to keep form perfect, but over the course of the month you will add reps again. I would not add more than 5% of your bodyweight per month. I would probably go with 3-5 lbs. That should be very, very easy to do and keep perfect form.

slizzardman, if I go with 2lb per week, it will take me ages until i reach the 80% BW mark (to progress with the OAC). I'm currently 68kg and with 20kg, that's 28% of my BW.

Why am I under the impression that people progress faster on this?

Joshua Naterman

You are a little confused: I am outlining what you should be working out with.

Your maxes will be quite a bit above that if you are training properly.

I am doing exactly what I am suggesting for you to do and I can now do halfway decent full lay Bower negatives. Well, one at a time. I did this sort of by accident yesterday when coming down from a handstand, but it illustrated to me just how much strength is being built with what I am doing.

I'm not doing any pressing beyond 10 push ups 4-5 days per week and maybe 2-3 reps of HSPU work 3 days per week. Just started doing a few bodyweight dips once a week this week.

If you are concerned with how fast you progress then you don't understand yet, and you will just have to get frustrated on your own. I have given you what you need, you will understand it in your own time. Good luck.

Quick Start Test Smith

If people knew that I spend the first 30-40 minutes (and a bit later on) of my regular 2 hour morning workouts just doing warm ups and prehab, they'd be astonished. If they were particularly surprised, I'd tell them about all the prehab stuff pro gymnasts do :D

The urge to rush is super common. I think Western culture has grown to encourage immediate reward. You want this? Buy it now. No need to wait until you can afford it. That isn't how the good things in life that we enjoy today have been developed, and that isn't how the good things we hope to enjoy in the future are being developed. The proof is in the pudding. I constantly find myself trying to rush ahead believing I will be much farther along my journey in a few weeks than I am now, however, in a few weeks or rushing, I find myself exactly where I began with little to no progress. I am currently resolved to REMOVE this disastrous trait from my character and I surround myself with things that remind me of the following message:

Life is a marathon, not a sprint. Believe it. Live it.

;)

This might be a silly broad question, but how the hell do i warm up for 45 minutes? AS you may have seen from some of my videos i am very beginner. I can do my joint prep, but i feel as if anything i do to warm up would hinder my actual workout becasue i am a beginner. SO do i just do small things like pushups?

Joshua Naterman

Yea, push ups, active flexibility work (builds a bit of strength as well sometimes), light weight YTI work, joint prehab (light), shoulder mobility, some light bouncing eventually, things like that.

Quick Start Test Smith
Lol, you should hear my wife bitch when she comes in the garage 45mins later and asks if I'm close to done yet, and I tell her I just finished my warm up. :D

Hahahaha :lol:

I do soft tissue work (10 minutes or so), light and super short static stretches (part of 5/3/1 program, don't know how good it is), all of Ido's routines with bands (upper body and lower body), leg raises, cossack squats, YTI drills, then FSP warm up.

Johann Wimmer
Yea, push ups, active flexibility work (builds a bit of strength as well sometimes), light weight YTI work, joint prehab (light), shoulder mobility, some light bouncing eventually, things like that.

I have seen the term "YTI work" a couple of times, but i couldn't find an explanation for it - Do the letters refer to a certain body positioning during, for example, elastic band work, like in Ido's shoulder prehab videos (Arms overhead, arms out to the side, arms besides the torso) ?

Please enlighten me :D

If people knew that I spend the first 30-40 minutes (and a bit later on) of my regular 2 hour morning workouts just doing warm ups and prehab, they'd be astonished. If they were particularly surprised, I'd tell them about all the prehab stuff pro gymnasts do :D

The urge to rush is super common. I think Western culture has grown to encourage immediate reward. You want this? Buy it now. No need to wait until you can afford it. That isn't how the good things in life that we enjoy today have been developed, and that isn't how the good things we hope to enjoy in the future are being developed. The proof is in the pudding. I constantly find myself trying to rush ahead believing I will be much farther along my journey in a few weeks than I am now, however, in a few weeks or rushing, I find myself exactly where I began with little to no progress. I am currently resolved to REMOVE this disastrous trait from my character and I surround myself with things that remind me of the following message:

Life is a marathon, not a sprint. Believe it. Live it.

;)

I absolutely agree.