Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Very Abbreviated Gymnastics Training

MarcusD

I remember in BtGB book's appendix B "Static Strength Only Training Results", there's a guy named Dave who got tremendous results from practicing only the front lever and planche progressions.

Has anyone else had any experience with abbreviated programs like his?

Cause I am considering cutting down my own training to include only front lever, planche and handstand work, beside some general conditioning like sprinting and leg work. Then I will add in extra dips, pull ups, muscle ups, core work or a few dumbell or barbell excercises solely based on how much energy I have got left after working the FL, PL and handstand.

So my program will be 5 days a week, alternating between 3 days of upper body work and 2 days of leg work and conditioning one week, and 3 days of leg work and conditioning and 2 days of upperbody work the second week, alternating the upper- and lower body work each week.

All of my sessions would be pretty short, like 15 to 40 minutes at the most, following the motto: "get in, get out". The reason for this would be not to burn out in the long run, and only doing the very essentials every time, and then just adding in the extra work when I have the energy for it.

On a quick note, I will do some kind of corrective exercise pretty often, some 2-6 times a week, like Z-health, scapula and shoulder prehab or just some stretching. However, it won't interfere with the energy for the rest of my training.

So, any qualified opinions on the possibilities of building general fitness, strength and well being through such an abbreviated program?

It's been done before by others but not really my cup of tea. I like long training sessions and have generally always had time to kill.

However, one of these days, should things go right and I have munchkins and a family, I'm sure my training will start to lean that way.

Quick Start Test Smith

However, one of these days, should things go right and I have munchkins and a family, I'm sure my training will start to lean that way.

Hahaha. I like the way you describe that. :)

Joshua Naterman

Make SURE you are very diligent on retraction work, for upper mid and lower traps. Also make sure you work on your external rotators. If you focus on those things as well as what you mentioned you should be ok as long as you take it slow.