Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Am I on the right track?

Erik Sjolin

There's a few things I'm working on that I know will be a while before I actually get (reverse MU, manna, ring HS, etc), but those aren't what I'm curious about.

Others (like planche, press handstands, etc) I've been working on for a while with very little progress. In the last couple months or so, I've managed to get my shoulder well enough to train tuck PL without pain (though even before, it didn't progress), as well as play around with press handstands.

For the tuck PL I do PL leans in a tuck with the backs of my toes (the nail part) on the floor, making sure my scapula are in the right position before picking my feet up off the ground. This seems to work okay, but my hips are kinda low. I'm thinking of fixing this by use of book under feet.

The press handstand is a little different. I can (most of the time) do a standing straddle press and (some of the time) standing pike, as well as lower to a straddle L from handstand. Pressing back up is different, since I seem to lose compression. Also, I have a feeling that I haven't been using the right muscle group in the press, but I feel what I think is the right one when I perform negative Stalders. My plan of action for these is to try and focus on going through the negative as controlled as possible and practice straddle L's with more focus on compression that max duration (about 30s).

Are these decent plans, is there anything else I should be doing, or is there stuff in there that I should just avoid doing?

Thanks for any help offered, it's appreciated! :D

Stalder Press HS at 6'6". Dang, I've never even seen a guy that tall who can do straddle-L off the floor.

I'd work the negatives from HS or press from straddle/pike stand to straddle-L.

Work straddle-L press to stand. This can also be done on parallettes.

You can also use rolling from a candlestick to get some momentum and then using a smaller amount of roll. This is sometimes called a stalder or endo roll to HS.

Thanks for the reply Blairbob! Yeah, I didn't see too many guys my height at last May's seminar.

I've been playing around with press-to-stands at the end of my workouts (L-sit to pike and straddle L to stand, though I usually can't get any further up than a tuck planche position), but I think the benefit I'm getting out of that is feeling the planche a little better.

The biggest problem I have is compression (and pressing strength, but I think I know how to address that), so my feet clear the floor (or sometimes slide a little :oops: ) on the way down, but stick on the way back up. I'll work on the stalder rolls, hopefully see some progress from that!