Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Two questions about hspu

Bryce Warren

Okay they're pretty straight forward, so I'm hoping I'll get some quick info on these.

In the space I have in my house, I don't have enough room to fully extend my legs in the XR HS, it's always kind of a struggle to keep my form decent in this position since my legs always have to be wrapped, will this still build a significant amount of strength holding the HS even though I can't extend or have my legs inside the straps? Also if there are any suggestions on some way to make it more effective or work around this that'd be awesome.

Second question is about proper form for a hespu freestanding on the ground, basically if you have a link to a video I'd love to see it. I see many videos with people arching their backs for them, and I could swear I remember some that were entirely straight keeping their form, but very few.

Thanks in advance!

Hang rings in the garage or off a tree.

Straddle your legs in a ring HS or tuck them while inside the straps (might be weird to align the HS).

Free HeSPU on floor from HS should be straight/hollow. Now are they arched because their HS is arched or are they arching off the bottom a lot which means they are trying to recruit some of the pecs into pushing out of the hole.

Unfortunately where I have them is the only place I can hang them at the moment, I'll try straddling since I've already tried the tucking inside the straps, didn't work out too well.

Most hs I've seen have been arched all the way through, I guess a lot of people find it easier to balance that way or they just don't know proper alignment, along with what you said trying to assist with pec involvement.

I'm not sure what it was, but when I tried to do them straight/hollow I just couldn't find the balance for it, which is why I'm asking for a video, I'm having troubles with the leaning. Everything I do I video myself, so if I had one to compare to I could probably correct it fairly quick. So if you have any or have seen any you can link to please post it up :)

When doing a free HeSPU/HSPU on the floor your have to allow your shoulders to track forward of your hands (as in to headstand).

Many people simply try to bend their arm with their elbows pointing out.

Learning how to push out of the headstand on floor to handstand is pretty useful. Once you have the balance in the HS, you can simply lower to Headstand and push back to HS

Alright I'll be sure to add those in more often, my strength is mostly with elbows going out when it comes to hes/hspu, elbows in seems to be quite the weak spot for me. I've been doing negatives on pb with holds at my weak points, along with hespu against the wall keeping elbows in. Oddly this is one area that never seems to get easier for me, I'll keep going at it though, has to give in some time!

If there are any other techniques anyone knows about that will increase strength for keeping elbows in it'd be greatly appreciated, if not I'll work with what I've got. (I have btgb so I'm referring to exercises outside the book)

Ahh.

You're not going to be able to keep the balance of the HS and do a HSPU with the elbows going out. If you start with your hands wider than standard HS distance (shoulder width), it is a bit more possible but the balance is off.

Are you still doing box HeSPU? Can you do them with elbows in at all? Either start doing negatives or partial ROM.

Dips or barbell overhead press would be things to help. How is your dip strength?

I can dip BW + 100 last time I checked, probably more now since that was quite some time ago.

Box hespu are too easy, the only way this is challenging is if I'm using my parallettes to get the full ROM which is one of the exercises I've been using. Along with that I do them with the parallettes near the wall so I can keep my feet touching for balance. I don't have much room around here so I can't do much for freestanding with the parallettes, if I lose balance there's nowhere to step off too.

Yea I know elbows out won't work unless using a wider stance for HS, I was referring to wide hespu against a wall as being where my strength is. The closer my elbows come in, the worse it gets for me, probably from neglecting having my elbows in for quite some time. It seems like I shouldn't be as far behind as I am with them judging by my strength in dips and various other pressing movements, but I suppose I'm proven wrong. Weak links, there's always something :P

Ugh yea :roll: Oh well, I'll be happy when I'm able to get these properly, until then I have something to look forward to.