Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Which would give more exercises?

ryantherobot

Which would be more beneficial to purchase the book or the rings?

I am overseas with very little equipment, in fact I have no equipment aside from a lemon tree branch I use for pull-ups. Thats what got me interested in body weight training to begin with. I can currently after about 2 months of training hold the L-Seat for 7 seconds and a Tuck Planche for about 5 seconds. I'm working on handstands as well. My primary goal of training is a few things:

A) Get in better shape

B) Get in top shape for martial arts

C) Get in top shape for the Marine Corps Officer Candidate School PFT

The more exercises like L-Seats, Planches, Dragonflags, Handstands, and Pistols that I can work towards I think the better off I'd be. I don't really think of working out as getting in shape, I think of it more like I would in martial arts where I just want to perfect these skills and practice them over and over. Which would give me more options for new skills (with only a tiny lemon tree branch) the X-Treme Rings or the Book? I'm worried the book will involve equipment, but I'm also worried about the practicality of trying to hang the Rings from a very tiny and fairly low to the ground branch.

Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Like I've read around the site, some people have recommended door frame-mounted pull up bars. Before I bought my pull up/dip station, I used the door mounted bar and it works well for the beginning skills. Plus the bars are cheap.

Rings means you don't need a dip and pullup station. However, you can use a door mounted bar for some of the drills on rings. Not the same but better than nothing and you don't have to work supports on weird things like counter corners or chairs.

A set of parallettes is always a good partner to rings.

Thanks for the replies sounds like the Rings is the way to go for me (Door Mount Frame isn't an option because A. I don't have a door and B. I'm not allowed to make any permanent changes to my dwelling)

Are there any photographic guides that serve as instructions on how to set up the rings, particularly on a tree branch. I surveyed my area and I definitely have a few limbs on a mango tree I could use but not sure how I would get it on and off there every day without a ladder, and leaving it up wouldn't be an option because it would be quickly stolen or destroyed.

Tried search but didn't come up with anything of the sort so perhaps someone could make a set-up guide that could be stickied either in this forum or the ring forum.

There is no topic specifically on how to set the rings up on a tree branch. There are a 2 topics on how to set the rings up, here and here. I use my rings on a tree, I simply chuck mine over the branch (stands about 2.5 metres high) and set the rings up. A note of caution if you try this, be careful when throwing the strap (use buckle end) that you throw it with purpose and not wildly as it can catch on other branches which can be a problem :? .

Ed

thanks

just to make sure than... you were easily able to set the rings up on a 2.5m (7') branch without having to get a ladder or climb the tree?

If so do you happen to know how I could get in touch with Coach Sommer to see about a special order - preferably by way of the internet.

You may order the Xtreme Rings through this link.

If you are so inclined there are also some various package deals that will be available shortly that have various combinations of rings, book and DVDs that you may also choose from. A listing of the various package deals that will be forthcoming is available here. This will be a simple listing only, the prices and more details will be available once I activate those products in the store.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer