Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

BL and PL

John Dalton

Got a question.......is it possible to attain a straddle planche without training the back lever? I know that BL training will help with PL training but is it possible?

Thank You :!:

charlieborro

I think so :mrgreen: BL would help a lot In my opinion, but it's not necessary (although PL would not benefit by a good static position...)

charlie

Thought I'd break into this forum... :mrgreen:

I read in Beastskills that the weighted pull-up is a good assistance exercise to the front lever but Coach Sommer mentioned it isnt.

So can anyone give me some assistance exercises, including for the core, for the front lever.

Thank You

If your pull strength is weak, weighted pull variants can help that aspect of the front lever. If your core is weak, you need to work on the body lever portion.

Thanks a lot.

My Pulling strength is whats holding me back, so weighted pull-ups and inverted rows are the ones I choose.

Thanks for the help blairblob....

Assuming core strength is sufficient, how much weight should i be able to handle in the weighted pull-up for the full front lever.

I know pull-ups are not directly related to front levers but i'm looking for a good guess.

That's anyone guess, really. I'm sure a lot of depends on the body size of the individual. Height, weight, limb length.

A guesstimate some people have thrown around is 75% of BW added to your pullup.

• 2 weeks later...
Got a question.......is it possible to attain a straddle planche without training the back lever? I know that BL training will help with PL training but is it possible?

For a planche on the floor; yes, for a planche on the rings; doubtful.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

For a planche on the floor; yes, for a planche on the rings; doubtful.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

So if I can do straddle PL on floor I can't do it on rings? How I make this transition from the floor to rings? I should start a new SSC for planche, but now on rings? :?

Mikael,

Unfortunately the ability to perform a planche on the floor will have little to no bearing on being able to perform a planche on the rings. Straight arm ring strength elements are a completely separate animal from all other gymnastics strength and require their own series of progressions in addition to a solid base of FBE (at least having progressed up to Bowers and legless rope climbs).

I have previously shared a part of that progression here.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Coach, thank you! I forgot this post... So from one progression to other, how much time we should hit to be able to safely jump to a harder variation?

... So from one progression to other, how much time we should hit to be able to safely jump to a harder variation? ...

Complete mastery is necessary to avoid over-use injuries and tendonitis.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer