Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Back lever

Joseff Lea

Joshua Naterman

Shoulder position depends on how strong you are, a retracted BL is extremely hard. When you're doing pelicans(BL to PL, bent OR straight arm) there is a certain amount of retraction and protraction as you go down and up, for example, but obviously you have to be pretty abominably strong to do those.

Shoulder position depends on how strong you are, a retracted BL is extremely hard. When you're doing pelicans(BL to PL, bent OR straight arm) there is a certain amount of retraction and protraction as you go down and up, for example, but obviously you have to be pretty abominably strong to do those.

So your saying a retracted back lever is harder than a protracted back lever? Doesn't gravity drag your shoulders up making you retract automatically? So shouldn't protracted be harder?

Lucas Serur

I always did my back lever progression like if it was a straight arm push-up/dip, so I went for retracted shoulders. But protracting them to fight for the gravity pull also makes sense.

Now I wonder why is the back lever fine with protracted scapulae while push-ups, dips or even bench are not?

Also, this has come to mind:

In this video, Ido says you should do the front support with protracted shoulders. Any thoughts?

Joshua Naterman

Also, this has come to mind:

In this video, Ido says you should do the front support with protracted shoulders. Any thoughts?

Because you have no other choice. That's basic mechanics, the hands are in front of the center of gravity, in a position similar to Victorian. Shoulders have to be protracted because we are simply not built to hold that position with retracted shoulders. Protraction gives mechanical advantage in many situations.

I suppose in theory it could be done retracted with a wider grip, but I don't think that the human body can actually get that strong. There are things that are not possible, no matter how perfectly you train.