Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

One-arm Chin-up Negatives

305pelusa

Whoah man. Seriously, thank you very much for the help. I always kept my reps at 3 per set or lower to maintain the assistance low. It should be a good change of pace then.

One last thing, for the sake of discussion and because I'm wondering. You're saying I should do 2-3 OAC singles followed by the 1-2x5-6 reps of OAC assisted work TWICE per week.

What if I did that ONCE per week, and on the other day (yep, leaving 2-3 days of rest between those 2 vertical pulling sessions) I did the afore-mentioned 2-3 OAC singles, followed by something like 5x2 OAC Negatives (I'm using about 8 secs of lowering for each rep)??

My point is, I'm wondering if a program is better off with just concentric and their eccentrics, or that maybe doing one day of concentric (and their eccentrics) and one day of ONLY eccentrics would be superior?

I feel like if I did one day of one, and the other day of the other, perhaps the results would be better (train strength on one, groove on the other). Or perhaps just doing the singles followed by the pinky-assisted reps twice a week would be simply better??

Thanks!

Joshua Naterman

You will almost certainly do better without that kind of eccentric volume. What you COULD do is use that second day to do your sets of 3 assisted reps with lighter assistance, and that would most likely be much more productive.

Joshua Naterman
Interesting, Sliz. I had never heard about that motor units and eccentric relationship.

What is even cooler and much less well-known is that the reason this is possible is that there are actually two heads on each myosin "head" but only one works during concentric contractions. It is believed, but not yet proven conclusively, that both heads work at the same time during eccentric contractions. This would explain why we can produce the same force with 30-40% less EMG activity and why there is such an enormous disruption of the Z line with heavy eccentric training.

You will almost certainly do better without that kind of eccentric volume. What you COULD do is use that second day to do your sets of 3 assisted reps with lighter assistance, and that would most likely be much more productive.

I like this very much too.

I'll use a pulley for the higher reps (pulling as much as possible on the pulley without it actually moving) for the higher reps, and use my pinky-assistance (and pulling as much as possible with my working arm on each rep) for the other harder day (with less volume).

Thanks a bunch bro!