Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Handstand for criticize (update 7 Jan)

Bruno Cochofel

Bruno Cochofel

Ok, this is my first video. Handstand test for criticize..

Please let me know what you think

COC3B-YFX3A

your body looked like it was in pretty good alignment, but i would suggest really tightening the glutes and legs more. Nice open shoulders tho

Bruno Cochofel
your body looked like it was in pretty good alignment, but i would suggest really tightening the glutes and legs more. Nice open shoulders tho

I believe the problem is the pants, because usually I point my toes to remember myself to tightening, I'll try to do a video without pants.. But thanks for the comment ;-)

Your pants are unlikely to be the problem. You are doing the classic thing that i also do and have been working hard to unlearn. That is you are collapsing in your lower back. Ian's advice is correct, you need to tighten your legs, glutes and abs.

All the basic body line work is very helpful with this, and so is working on stomach to the wall handstand.

Bruno Cochofel
Your pants are unlikely to be the problem. You are doing the classic thing that i also do and have been working hard to unlearn. That is you are collapsing in your lower back. Ian's advice is correct, you need to tighten your legs, glutes and abs.

All the basic body line work is very helpful with this, and so is working on stomach to the wall handstand.

Thanks for the advice, I will remember that next time I'm working on handstand.

• 4 weeks later...
Bruno Cochofel

Here's my last handstand progress...

I've been trying to open shoulders, like locked then and activate traps, but I've found out that in this way the balance gets weird, my legs are more to the front so I can feel it in my fingers, otherwise I cannot mantain balance.. Is this normal? Do I need to fix something in my body line?

Also, are my legs better? It's hard for me to know and check this things by myself, so hope you can criticize ;-)

m_zvZSyx6H4

Bruno Cochofel

Just end my handstand training and tried mess with reverse press, straddle and pike.. With the shoulders open is really more stable to descent in a more controlled way, but still find that my body isn't in a hollow position..

Blackcat,

I am very impressed! Your shoulders were very open and you have improved a great deal. The legs are things that take some work becasue sometimes one is so focused on open shoulders that we forget the legs. I know i do sometimes. Hollow holds and stoamch to wall HS will definitely help you understand how to get into and hold the hollow position. BUt wonderful progress dude!

-Ian Legrow

Bruno Cochofel
Blackcat,

I am very impressed! Your shoulders were very open and you have improved a great deal. The legs are things that take some work becasue sometimes one is so focused on open shoulders that we forget the legs. I know i do sometimes. Hollow holds and stoamch to wall HS will definitely help you understand how to get into and hold the hollow position. BUt wonderful progress dude!

-Ian Legrow

Thanks very much for your tips.. I've been doing hollow holds and hollow rocks trying to remember that position for when I'm in handstand...

I have found that if you film yourself continuously, you begin to feel where your hips should be and they just lock into place automatically.

Is there any way to improve my hip alignment when I'm in handstand?

It's a mixture of tucking your pelvis in and you open your shoulders... Hard to explain online.

Bruno Cochofel

It's a mixture of tucking your pelvis in and you open your shoulders... Hard to explain online.

Basically go more for a hollow, right? I'm trying to really tightening more my glutes and quads while pointing my fingers but find myself losing that tight body line to catch my balance...

Basically go more for a hollow, right? I'm trying to really tightening more my glutes and quads while pointing my fingers but find myself losing that tight body line to catch my balance...

Yes you go more hollow. But as you go hollow, you will almost start to become slanted toward an underbalance. Which is why you open your shoulders to a good open angle. Then everything stacks on top of each other.

Yes, the hollow position is what you will be going for. The balance and good form thing goes hand in hand but it will take some time. Basically tightening the glutes. It threw me off my balance several times and still does from time to time. It takes practice.

Bruno Cochofel
Yes, the hollow position is what you will be going for. The balance and good form thing goes hand in hand but it will take some time. Basically tightening the glutes. It threw me off my balance several times and still does from time to time. It takes practice.

Thanks Ian, you've been great with all your tips.. At least for now I can kick up more times without go to the wall.. It's a start :D

You welcome. Happy to help. Everyone has to start somewhere. Especially when beginning, Handstands can really be a pain in the butt. There are times even now when i practice them and i cannot do ONE without using the wall. The process can be a long one and very annoying at times, but very worth it.

Your doing well, and your shoudlers are perfectly open, so that is a great place to start. Just be patient and film yourself as much as possible. Thats what helped me. From constant filming and learning from things your body does will definitely helpo. That, and i do handstands for at least an hour a day. Keep doing them my friend, your doing great.

-Ian Legrow

Bruno Cochofel

Well, I don't train handstand 1h a day, I'm also trying to achieve the FSP and general strength, but I try to train everyday...

I will get there, sometimes in the morning I do hs stomach to wall and accumulate 3m, guess I'll have to do this everyday also..

Thanks you've been great and a motivation..

I'm also working on the Handstand.

last month i started to to it at work :D

In my break at 12 o'clock i alway do handstand to wall with a total sum of about 3 Minutes.

And since i started this my handstand is getting better and better.

one month ago i could hold a free handstand appr. 2 seconds.

now i can do it for around 15 sec without kipping and can also get into it without touching the wall.